adviseme

"I got the Hubble S-100 from Geewiz as a replacement. Can't say how the batteries or inverter are going to do long term, but so far they working great. These batteries run on a different voltage to the cheap deep cycle barriers, so the battery discharge percentage on the mecer display is of no use. I connected a cheap voltage meter."

I'm unable to afford four of these. What batteries in the 2-3K range are recommended?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
"I got the Hubble S-100 from Geewiz as a replacement. Can't say how the batteries or inverter are going to do long term, but so far they working great. These batteries run on a different voltage to the cheap deep cycle barriers, so the battery discharge percentage on the mecer display is of no use. I connected a cheap voltage meter."

I'm unable to afford four of these. What batteries in the 2-3K range are recommended?
You only need 2 as you can use the full capacity instead of normal lead acid's 50%, so 2 x hubble 100A = 2 x 200A (or 4 x 100A) lead acid.

adviseme

You only need 2 as you can use the full capacity instead of normal lead acid's 50%, so 2 x hubble 100A = 2 x 200A (or 4 x 100A) lead acid.
Understood thanks. Apologies, I should have been more specific. I have three inverters - 1 x 2400 and 2 x 720.
So the Hubble's won't get damaged if I run them flat? I'm on the second replacements for the 2400 in three years now due my my own negligence.
The problem is that often I'm not around when load shedding happens.
Looking at previous posts, it appears the Hubble won't fit in the 2400 trolley?
It's a huge amount of money for me right now but I understand the saving over 10 years.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Understood thanks. Apologies, I should have been more specific. I have three inverters - 1 x 2400 and 2 x 720.
So the Hubble's won't get damaged if I run them flat? I'm on the second replacements for the 2400 in three years now due my my own negligence.
The problem is that often I'm not around when load shedding happens.
Looking at previous posts, it appears the Hubble won't fit in the 2400 trolley?
It's a huge amount of money for me right now but I understand the saving over 10 years.
Oh, right, no worries.

No they don't get damaged, but you'll get more cycles out of them if you don't run them flat (20 theoretical years lol), but it's not the end of the world if they do run flat, it's in their specs, 100% DOD.

The best part imho about these batteries is that even if you were pulling 100A out of it, you would still get full capacity unlike lead acid Ah rating being measured over 10 or 20 hours.

For example:
1633879552579.png
vs
1633879590187.png
1633879632322.png

They charge much quicker too than lead acid.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that they don't fit in the box. :(

owl

My Mecer 1200VA unit blew up last night. It now trips the circuit breaker on the DB Board. Measures a short from L to N on the plug. So, it looks like the unit will have to go in for repairs.

If this is not economical to repair and I must buy a new one. Would you buy the same unit or is there a better unit to buy? I would like to stay on a 12V battery for now.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
My Mecer 1200VA unit blew up last night. It now trips the circuit breaker on the DB Board. Measures a short from L to N on the plug. So, it looks like the unit will have to go in for repairs.

If this is not economical to repair and I must buy a new one. Would you buy the same unit or is there a better unit to buy? I would like to stay on a 12V battery for now.
How old and have you opened it up to check? It could be something very minor like an improperly terminated wire touching another.

wingnut771

Honorary Master

Cheaper to replace. I would look for a 12V PSW with MPPT.

dotcat

How does that SOC graph work? Voltage looks pretty flat after the drop and stays constant on the bottom pic. Anyway, plenty left over for when the power doesn't come back on when it should.
2 x 100ah batteries so 24v. Average current draw is draw 5 or 6amps. So over 2 hours, 10 or 12ah or 12% so SOC dropped to just under 90%.

Mandarb

Bit the bullet and got a pair of Hubble S-100 batteries today. Slight struggle to get the inverter off the trolley, the tape/putty that GeeWiz used is very good. Connected them, with a couple of sparks (!). Then put the batteries into a storage tub, and ran everything for the last hour of loadshedding on it.

Got a Kill-a-watt at the same time, everything (TV, router, soundbar, android box, Wifi, PON, consoles on standby) runs at 120W. Will need to rejigger it a bit to lean it down for the times the power doesn't come on when it should.

The question is now, to keep the batteries in their best condition, is there anything I should do, except making sure they don't run to zero?

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Bit the bullet and got a pair of Hubble S-100 batteries today. Slight struggle to get the inverter off the trolley, the tape/putty that GeeWiz used is very good. Connected them, with a couple of sparks (!). Then put the batteries into a storage tub, and ran everything for the last hour of loadshedding on it.

Got a Kill-a-watt at the same time, everything (TV, router, soundbar, android box, Wifi, PON, consoles on standby) runs at 120W. Will need to rejigger it a bit to lean it down for the times the power doesn't come on when it should.

The question is now, to keep the batteries in their best condition, is there anything I should do, except making sure they don't run to zero?
Did the Hubble batteries not fit inside the trolley? Thought they were same form factor as the LA/AGM batteries?

wingnut771

Honorary Master

120W so should last 10 hours.

Nope other than not fully charging them but you can't set charge voltages so just leave them be.