Ivork

Expert Member
I currently have 4x100ah batteries which are shot. I want to replace with Hubble's but can't afford them all at the same time. I know with lead acid this is a no-no but considering the Hubble's each have their own BMS system do you think it's ok to buy 2 now and then add another 2 in a year or so's time ?

ADrunkTeddyBear

I currently have 4x100ah batteries which are shot. I want to replace with Hubble's but can't afford them all at the same time. I know with lead acid this is a no-no but considering the Hubble's each have their own BMS system do you think it's ok to buy 2 now and then add another 2 in a year or so's time ?
Should be fine

Lupus

Honorary Master
That should be ok

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Which pre-assembled unit are you looking at?
Probably one of these units :

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Probably one of these units :

Don't waste your time with lead acid batteries, I don't know what you want to power but get the inverter separately, preferably the 12V unit and get the Hubble S100 to power it, get positive and negative cable and connect it.

If you don't feel like it maybe ask Geewiz to quote you on a lithium pre-assembled kit, they will be expensive but you pay for convenience.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
Don't waste your time with lead acid batteries, I don't know what you want to power but get the inverter separately, preferably the 12V unit and get the Hubble S100 to power it, get positive and negative cable and connect it.

If you don't feel like it maybe ask Geewiz to quote you on a lithium pre-assembled kit, they will be expensive but you pay for convenience.
Ok so let's say the mecer 1200 (which is the 12v unit?) with a hubble battery. What else would one require?

This would probably be for a TV and a box during Loadshedding or a laptop etc so nothing special.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

Seeing that you should only use Lead Acid to 50% and you can use LifePO4 you should only need 2 to replace the 4?

That said I I don't see how adding 2 later on would have a negative impact on 2 that is already in use.

RedViking

Nord of the South
After now spending a lot of time in the office with load shedding and the inverter, I cannot see where people say it gets loud, mine yes when charging the fan runs, but it's not overly loud. In the past I wasn't near it, now it's been right on top of me for hours on end.
With these Hubble S-100 's my fan gets stupid load while charging.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Ok so let's say the mecer 1200 (which is the 12v unit?) with a hubble battery. What else would one require?

This would probably be for a TV and a box during Loadshedding or a laptop etc so nothing special.

In theory nothing. The Hubbles can handle being shut off at 10% (Mercer's normal)

But for safety I would add brownout protection (Surge Plug) on mains, as well as a DC trip switch (or fuse if you prefer) on the battery side

Edit: Sorry linked the wrong one above, not that it wont work but if I had a do over I would buy this:

5 Min delay for when power returns.

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master

A box that the battery can fit in, apparently it is slightly longer than the lead acid batteries, battery cables and a double sided tape to stick the inverter onto the box.

If you don't have children around you can get away without a box.

RedViking

Nord of the South

These batteries are longer than the standard.

I got this for two batteries:

But for one battery you can also use a Big Jim toolbox. Make a hole for the cables.