Mecer 2400VA Inverter (Review)

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thank you to both posts above, sorry.
No need for sorries. This thread is dedicated to the Mecer Inverter. For the living, until death. :laugh:

You will be surprise how little power a gaming PC uses. I will be surprised if your PC uses anything more than 350-400W. If that much at all. Unless you have 2 or 3 GPU's running or some older AMD CPU.

I suggest invest in this: https://www.geewiz.co.za/gadgets/43656-digital-watt-meter-kill-a-watt-measure-your-electricity-usage.html?search_query=watt+meter&results=27

Then you know how much your equipment uses.

See the first couple of posts in this thread.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Feedback: OK so with the Mecer solar charge controller plugged into the Mecer inverter at the same time as AC is all good.
the AC will take priority on the inverter
once load shedding kicks in the solar takes over to charge the batteries (during the daytime of course)

Now i am going to save up for this array, sounds awesome especially if you are load shedding during the day

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
That's something I might look at if things really hit the fan.
i would just get it anyways before it becomes a discontinued product later.
You will get more life cycles from your batteries as well because when there is load shedding during the day your solar panel will help keep the batteries topped up near 100%

flarkit

Executive Member
Feedback: OK so with the Mecer solar charge controller plugged into the Mecer inverter at the same time as AC is all good.
the AC will take priority on the inverter
once load shedding kicks in the solar takes over to charge the batteries (during the daytime of course)

Now i am going to save up for this array, sounds awesome especially if you are load shedding during the day
Do you have any suppliers for the setup, please?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
So I managed to source the Mecer 1200VA/720W unit.

Quick review:

Pros:
1) Looks like a quality unit. Like a stereo hifi amp or VCR (I'm showing my age).
2) Fan is quiet (like a soft woosh from an aircon or pedestal fan)
3) Fan turns off when battery is charged
4) Switching is seamless and no beeping
5) Dual 8 gauge power and ground cables included, with terminal lugs attached.

Cons:
1) Buzzing noise from inverter when running on battery
2) Plugs and terminals are a bit cheap and loose
3) The data bars showing load and battery capacity are nearly useless (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%). It would be better to have actual Watts on the display.
4) The supplied cables have no fuse or fuse holder included (which they should as it would make it much simpler to connect)

Overall, a much better solution than computer UPS's. The anxiety around modding a UPS with bigger batteries and the potential fire risks and the fact that the UPS battery chargers are weak, are gone. Now I can properly survive even 4 hour loadsheds.

Do yourself a favour, sell those computer UPS's and just get a decent unit like this that can accommodate any batteries you like. Expandable over time....

thechamp

Honorary Master
Do you have any suppliers for the setup, please?
It's not much of a setup, Geewiz is selling the solar charge controller specific for the Mecer inverter, it's that and solar panels, which you can get anywhere.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So I managed to source the Mecer 1200VA/720W unit.

Quick review:

Pros:
1) Looks like a quality unit. Like a stereo hifi amp or VCR (I'm showing my age).
2) Fan is quiet (like a soft woosh from an aircon or pedestal fan)
3) Fan turns off when battery is charged
4) Switching is seamless and no beeping
5) Dual 8 gauge power and ground cables included, with terminal lugs attached.

Cons:
1) Buzzing noise from inverter when running on battery
2) Plugs and terminals are a bit cheap and loose
3) The data bars showing load and battery capacity are nearly useless (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%). It would be better to have actual Watts on the display.
4) The supplied cables have no fuse or fuse holder included (which they should as it would make it much simpler to connect)

Overall, a much better solution than computer UPS's. The anxiety around modding a UPS with bigger batteries and the potential fire risks and the fact that the UPS battery chargers are weak, are gone. Now I can properly survive even 4 hour loadsheds.

Do yourself a favour, sell those computer UPS's and just get a decent unit like this that can accommodate any batteries you like. Expandable over time....
Not much to be sold for if you bought one for a hundred rand, it's a cheap solution that works, ran mine for years before I bought an inverter, it can cope well with charging the batteries as long as the load shedding is not as frequent as it was recently, plus there is no buzzing noises.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Not much to be sold for if you bought one for a hundred rand, it's a cheap solution that works, ran mine for years before I bought an inverter, it can cope well with charging the batteries as long as the load shedding is not as frequent as it was recently, plus there is no buzzing noises.
I'm not criticising. I'm advising to reduce anybody else's potential conundrum about whether it is worth spending close to R1800 on this Mecer unit - I had doubt about it being worth the money. If you are having doubts, just do it. You won't regret it.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I'm not criticising. I'm advising to reduce anybody else's potential conundrum about whether it is worth spending close to R1800 on this Mecer unit - I had doubt about it being worth the money. If you are having doubts, just do it. You won't regret it.
True, the cost is much better when you already have batteries.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Geewhiz's delivery times are 5+ weeks on most on their decently priced inverters and batteries though...

Been watching a few items since mid December and no change.

isie

Honorary Master
Geewhiz's delivery times are 5+ weeks on most on their decently priced inverters and batteries though...

Been watching a few items since mid December and no change.
thanks to load shedding over demand low supply

MirageF1

Expert Member
thanks to load shedding over demand low supply

But there hasn't been LS any for last 2 weeks and still...
Means most shops understocked or never planned/anticipated the constant demand or didn't want to take risk ( low)

I also think most stock is shipped from Far East. Probably few weeks delivery times excl custom clearing and then carriage to warehouse/stores.