Nefertiti

Honorary Master
Damn, well im happy to hear it ! What year are you in/ qualify ? Busy doing AC circuits during semester 3 atm , props to you Elec guys , this is one of the harder courses I've ever taken.
I'm done with my MEng in software but I work at wits on some days. Private company so don't work directly for wits.

PappaSmurf

I studied MEch Eng at Wits in 2011 and it was terrible , the course is outdated , the lecturers don't speak english and the ones that do are so useless , nobody goes anyway.

Honestly go to Tuks , the course is better , lecturers are better , campus is better and student life is better . Yeah in Engineering there isn't much time for partying , but its nice when there is some student life available.

Im 4th year now studying somewhere else and I couldn't be happier I left wits. Btw at Wits the average time to complete the Engineering degree was 7 years , in 2011 out of all the 4th years only a very small handful got there in 4 years.

Also wits is a Bsc ENG and tuks is a B-Eng degree , It makes a big difference to the course and from what I'v been told your potential career path , blah blah yea it will change with experience but Bsc-Eng go into more academic work than B-Eng holders.

I would be more than happy to help with any more questions you may have. PM me if you need help.

No matter where you go however my advice to you would absolutely be , DON'T FALL BEHIND , you're gonna have to work for this degree from day 1 ! If you can do things like read a chapter the day before its taught , you will do great.
Not true. All the lecturers at Wits speak English - even in 2011 when you were there. The B.Sc Eng route is tough but it prepares students really well for the world of work. In any event, those who complain about Wits were those who were unable to pass B.Sc Eng. In my experience I found B.Sc Eng graduates from Wits, in particular, to be much stronger than graduates from other universities. Wits engineering is also well funded by industry. I am biased towards Wits producing the strongest engineering graduates in South Africa (based on my observations of recent graduates from different universities who work for me).

thechamp

Honorary Master
Not true. All the lecturers at Wits speak English - even in 2011 when you were there. The B.Sc Eng route is tough but it prepares students really well for the world of work. In any event, those who complain about Wits were those who were unable to pass B.Sc Eng. In my experience I found B.Sc Eng graduates from Wits, in particular, to be much stronger than graduates from other universities. Wits engineering is also well funded by industry. I am biased towards Wits producing the strongest engineering graduates in South Africa (based on my observations of recent graduates from different universities who work for me).
Probably don't speak English in his preferred accent.

flashfire208

Did you necro a 5 year old thread just to swing your d**k around ?

PappaSmurf

Did you necro a 5 year old thread just to swing your d**k around ?
Why do you feel that I am swinging my d**k around? By your own admission you failed at Wits. You knock the University for your failures? What does that make you? Wits is not there to bend to your will. Accept that you were not smart enough to pass B.Sc Eng (Mechanical) at Wits and move on. About replying to 5 year old thread. It is important for prospective students to get a balanced perspective about Wits mechanical engineering and the salty opinion of a Wits mechanical engineering failure, in the public domain, must be challenged.

PappaSmurf

A quick example would be , I remember failing a lab because the supervisor was from the congo and hardly spoke english, he couldn't explain what he wanted , even though he had his Phd.

The problem is also in the way Wits seems to have a vendetta against formula sheets in exams , they test memory of content and not understanding a lot of the time. A lot of the physics content was outdated , hell the technical drawing notes still had marking from the late 80's.

Yeah the content is on par , but it could be a hell of a lot more relevant.
I finished B.Sc Eng (Mechanical) in the mid 90s at Wits and can safely say that the technical drawing notes did not have any marking from the 80s. Furthermore, formula sheets were the norm for just about every course from second year onwards. As for labs, it is up to students to be adequately prepared and not rely on supervisors. It amazes me that you do not take responsibility for your failures but rather shift the blame to the supervisor or to Wits. Accept that Wits wasn’t for you. Wits examines and tests their students harder than most other universities. It is not a uni for sissies.