Medical aid covering hearing aids

RuhanSA079

Hi guys, as the thread title says,

I want to move from my parent's medical aid to another medical aid, one that I pay for. I am looking for one that can cover my hearing aids... I've heard many medical schemes have stopped the hearing aid cover, for whatever reason.

Bonitas seems like a good option, but Discovery, idk... Can some of you who wear hearing aids or kids who wears hearing aids, tell me which medical aid you can recommend?

powermzii

Expert Member
My FIL has a whole host of medical issues and one of them has left him needing hearing aids. He is on Discovery and they covered them (R22k) - i'll check which option he is on but i think its one of the comprehensive ones

Sputnik100

Most schemes (including Discovery and Bonitas) will pay for hearing aids, but from the Medical Savings Account or Above Threshold Benefit and with sub-limits, i.e. an additional restriction and not an additional benefit with a limit. As they are expensive, you will have to look at a plan with a more extensive savings account/above threshold benefit.

2019 benefits for Classic Priority as an example.
Savings account for 1 member: R10500
Self-payment gap: +- R4500
Above Threshold benefit for 1 member: R13 160
Sub-limit for hearing aids on this plan: R19600.

If you claim for a hearing aid of R18 000, it will be within the sub-limit.
It will be paid from your savings account which will be wiped, the next R4500 will be paid by yourself, and the remaining +-R3000 will be covered again from the ATB. You then have +- R10 000 left for the year for other expenses such as medicine, doctor visits and x-rays.

$$$$Take note$$$
1. If you move in the middle of the year, you will get pro rated benefits and not the full year's benefit. Your current medical scheme may also recoup monies paid from your medical savings account which was meant for the whole year and given to you in advance.
2. Be careful when moving. You will definitely get waiting periods or even late joiner penalties for your parents. (Best case scenario: 3 months general waiting period while PMBs -- the most serious stuff -- will be covered). Never move schemes for a single benefit (such as hearing aids) without taking the bigger picture into account and getting proper advice.
3. Really, stick with the big funds (Discovery, Momentum, Bonitas). I know people love to hate Discovery, but their admin is really unrivaled. And yes, you hear a lot of complaints, but it is also because 5 out of every 10 people with a medical scheme is with them... They do not feature NEAR the shame list of complaints per 1000 members issued by the Council for Medical Schemes each year. And no, Discovery is not more expensive than the other open schemes. That myth gets debunked the moment you do some research...

*Source: Discovery Health Medical Scheme brochure for Priority Series.
*Experience: Former trustee of a medical scheme administered by Discovery Health.

RuhanSA079

Thanks @Sputnik100 for the info. Will definitely have a look at this as soon as I get a moment and where I can focus on it entirely.