• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Medics' negligence leads to R19m payout for brain-damaged girl

schumi

Honorary Master
Pretoria - Little Omphile Ngwenya will never be able to walk, talk or eat by herself, due to the negligence of some doctors and nurses at Pholosong Hospital in Brakpan.

The now five-year-old was born in 2012 with brain damage after the medical staff at both this hospital and at the KwaThema Clinic failed to act fast enough when it was realised that the foetus was in distress.

It appeared that Omphile was too large for her mother Lindiwe Ngwenya’s pelvis to handle. She urgently needed to have a caesarean section to be performed, but due to the dragging of the heels of the staff and doctors, this was done too late.

By the time she was eventually born in the early hours of March 24 2012, Omphile suffered severe lack of oxygen, leaving her with permanent brain damage.

She now suffers from severe cerebral palsy.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-af...o-r19m-payout-for-brain-damaged-girl-13752453

saor

Honorary Master
That's ****ed up.
To be so severely brain-damaged due to negligence on the part of someone else.
That money can't even buy a cure.
Eish.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
I personally know of another case where this exact same type of thing has happened. Unfortunately no multi million rand payout for the family.

KingMikel

I personally know of another case where this exact same type of thing has happened. Unfortunately no multi million rand payout for the family.
It happened to us. I feel 0 sympathy for the government, they must pay.

The upsetting this is that there's no punishment on the nurses/doctors.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
It happened to us. I feel 0 sympathy for the government, they must pay.

The upsetting this is that there's no punishment on the nurses/doctors.
Agree with you 100%. Zero professional or personal consequences for the nurses and doctors and hospital administration involved. Pity not all people have access to good attorneys willing to take these cases to court on a pro-bono basis or knowledge of their rights.

Am I correct to assume you also did not receive a multi-million rand pay-out for the negligence?

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Their licences should be revoked and they should be jailed.
Unfortunately this isn't TV. Doctors in this country literally have a licence to kill. VERY VERY few are ever sanctioned for gross negligence. The ones that have been sanctioned (small fine or light suspension) have generally been guilty of years and years of gross negligence and were merely "unlucky" to have been caught and reported by one of the many patients affected.

noxibox

Honorary Master

noxibox

Honorary Master
Unfortunately this isn't TV. Doctors in this country literally have a licence to kill. VERY VERY few are ever sanctioned for gross negligence. The ones that have been sanctioned (small fine or light suspension) have generally been guilty of years and years of gross negligence and were merely "unlucky" to have been caught and reported by one of the many patients affected.
Part of the problem is the same one that exists with lawyers. The organisations that are supposed to police their conduct are run by other members of their profession, and regardless of what they might claim about wanting to uphold high standards their actions prove that they're primarily interested in protecting the image of the profession.

static_sa

My granny had blood clots in her lungs and one passed through her heart which caused her to faint.

The medics were going to put her on the bed but we insisted to take her to the hospital.

My previous doctor miss diagnosed me with a serious heart condition, said I was fine. This in the end, ended up with hospital bills over 150k and ruined a good two years of my life. Which still have effects today

Thankfully I had medical aid. That ****ing idiot :mad:

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Seriously, I don't think you want to know. It will screw up your whole TV influenced view of them. And it will make you pray every single day to one day, die quickly in a car accident or shooting, or die peacefully in your sleep, rather than have to be subjected to the health sector.

I was given a warning the last time I generalised......but in MY personal opinion, the majority are negligent and are out their practicing happily without consequence.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Part of the problem is the same one that exists with lawyers. The organisations that are supposed to police their conduct are run by other members of their profession, and regardless of what they might claim about wanting to uphold high standards their actions prove that they're primarily interested in protecting the image of the profession.
Absolutely 100% spot on. You will NEVER find a doctor that will expose the negligence of another doctor openly.

KingMikel

Agree with you 100%. Zero professional or personal consequences for the nurses and doctors and hospital administration involved. Pity not all people have access to good attorneys willing to take these cases to court on a pro-bono basis or knowledge of their rights.

Am I correct to assume you also did not receive a multi-million rand pay-out for the negligence?
We're getting one, we've won the case and we're just waiting to be paid.

There are 2 firms that I know of that'll cover the costs for the case, then take 25-27% of the winnings. If they don't win, you don't pay.

The cases drag on for a few years. Ours has been going on for 6-7 which is longer than usual while the average appears to be 4-5 years.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
We're getting one, we've won the case and we're just waiting to be paid.

There are 2 firms that I know of that'll cover the costs for the case, then take 25-27% of the winnings. If they don't win, you don't pay.

The cases drag on for a few years. Ours has been going on for 6-7 which is longer than usual while the average appears to be 4-5 years.
Well done. And my sincerest condolences for your unnecessary suffering. I hope the payment you are expecting is substantial to say the least!