Medupi lock-out a declaration of war – Numsa

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
105,603
Cape Town – The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) said it would make a decision on Wednesday regarding possible strike action at Medupi power station in Lephalale, with a warning that Eskom’s lock-out of workers is a declaration of war.

Numsa spokesperson Castro Ngobese told Fin24 on Wednesday that Numsa would meet with other unions later in the day to discuss the way forward, which could mean embarking on strike action.

On Tuesday, Numsa’s head of collective bargaining Steve Nhlapo told Fin24 that workers had decided to stay away from work on Wednesday.

However, Ngobese said workers had been locked out of Medupi and were not voluntarily staying away.

“What is really happening at Medupi is that our members have been locked out, and we see this not only as a provocation, but a declaration of war,” he said.

“We are meeting workers this afternoon to discuss how best we can respond to this lock-out as imposed on our members by Eskom and its contractors."

SMS dismissal not right - Numsa

After an unprotected strike at Medupi on March 25, Eskom sent text messages to 1 700 workers, informing them of their dismissal or giving them final warnings.

The SMS read: “Dear employee, with effect from 27 March 2015, you are not required to report for duty. The company will proceed and implement disciplinary processes forthwith and you will be notified accordingly.”

Numsa regional organiser Mahlodi Modike said workers returned to the plant on Wednesday hoping that they would be allowed into the premises, only to discover that their access cards were blocked.

“Some workers were allowed in, but most of them [discovered that] their access card was blocked, although they did not receive an SMS to inform them that they had been dismissed,” said Modike.

Numsa said this was a lock-out and demanded that Eskom follow the correct procedures.

“If you want to discipline members, there is a process to follow as per the Labour Relations Act,” said Ngobese.

Numsa accuses Eskom of lying to the public

Numsa accused Eskom of lying to the public, saying Eskom was not in talks with workers and that the dismissed workers had not destroyed property.

“They lie to the public and say workers will be returning to work and [and say that they are] talking to us, [which] is not true,” said Modike.

Ngobese said the issues had been put down on the table. “They can be addressed, but there is no will from Eskom to address those issues.”

Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe told Fin24 on Wednesday that disciplinary action was taking place against 1 700 workers who took part in an unprotected strike action on March 25.

“Those members are only allowed to come to Medupi for their disciplinary hearing,” he said.

Ngobese questioned how Eskom chose those 1 700 workers to discipline. “We need to be informed about that,” he said. “There has been no formal communication.”

Divide and rule strategy

The union believes that the construction companies were employing a divide and rule strategy, which they feared could trigger fights among workers.

Modike said that last week, workers were united when they marched to demand bonuses on the completion of unit 6, but now they are divided, because some members think they were betrayed.

He said the plan may backfire because workers believed that they were used to champion a cause for all, while only a select few were targeted.

“We marched together as workers, but only a few were dismissed by SMS,” he said. “Workers cannot be dismissed without a hearing.

“We are not going to the labour court now, [because] we still want to engage [our] employers.”

Fired workers have not been reinstated - Eskom

The SABC reported on Wednesday that Eskom had agreed to reinstate all the workers at Medupi power station who were fired from the unprotected protest on March 25.

“Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe says the contractors and labour unions have agreed that those who were dismissed will report for work on Wednesday,” the SABC reported.

However, Phasiwe told Fin24 that the workers had not been reinstated.

“There is a disciplinary process under way and the workers who were dismissed have not been reinstated,” he said.

Numsa confirmed that the fired workers had not been reinstated.

The workers’ demands were that completion bonuses should be given to all workers, not only to senior managers; retrenchments of workers should be halted with immediate effect; and racialised evictions of workers from their subsidised accommodation should end.

Fin24
Source: http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Medupi-lock-out-a-declaration-of-war-Numsa-20150408
 

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
12,129
Unions. Intent on sabotaging this country.

Last time I checked there were millions of people out there looking for work.
 

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
103,196
Aw shame, sorry to hear about your boo-boo then.

How about a lead pill diet for all your members involved?
 

grok

Honorary Master
Joined
Dec 20, 2007
Messages
28,671
“If you want to discipline members, there is a process to follow as per the Labour Relations Act,” said Ngobese.

If you want to strike there is a process to follow too. This was an illegal strike organised by domkops who never considered the consequences of their actions.
 

MickeyD

RIP
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
139,117
So who is telling us lies?


Eskom or NUMSA?


Blerrie hell, who to believe?

:D
 

TJ99

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 30, 2010
Messages
10,737
Since when are Numsa or Eskom sovereign states that they can declare war on each other?

Also, poor reporting is poor. The SMS'es are clearly a SUSPENSION while disciplinary procedures are pending, not a dismissal.
 

StevenC

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
2,133
I hate to side with EKSDOM on this one but there are plenty of people out there needing jobs. Good that they are getting rid of this particular entitled bunch of layabouts.
 

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
105,603
Construction halted as Medupi workers strike

Lephalale - Construction has been halted again at Eskom’s Medupi power plant as remaining construction workers joined the dismissed group belonging to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa).

Numsa on Thursday said its members joined the dismissed 1 500 in a gesture of solidarity to compel employers to reverse the dismissal motion.

Eskom-contracted companies at the Medupi power plant have dismissed workers and locked them out as they returned to work after the Easter weekend.

Eskom has accused workers of embarking on an unprotected strike. The firing of workers is also expected to add further delays to the completion of the much-needed power unit as the country struggles to meet electricity demand.

Numsa regional organiser Mahlodi Modike said workers arrived peacefully by bus en route to the construction site.

"They alighted and joined (the) expelled group as we agree on boycotting the unfair dismissal," said Modike.

He said they would not bow to a divide and rule strategy, adding that by allowing workers who were on strike to return to work and targeting others, employers are "dividing workers" and sowing discontent.

Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe told Fin24 on Wednesday that disciplinary action was taking place against 1 700 workers who took part in unprotected strike action on March 25.

“Those members are only allowed to come to Medupi for their disciplinary hearing,” he said.

Numsa head of collective bargaining Steve Nhlapo has demanded that Eskom open the site so that workers can continue their duties.

Fin24
Source: http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Construction-halted-as-Medupi-workers-strike-20150409
 

TJ99

Honorary Master
Joined
Apr 30, 2010
Messages
10,737
Great, another unprotected strike, fire the lot of them.
 

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Messages
9,081
As a tax payer I give Eskom my vote to fire the lot even if it means more delays.
 

LaraC

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
42,675
Does saying that it is a declaration of war mean that the union have no interest in respecting the rights of the employer?
Are the demand though process so entrenched that compromise is not part of their negotiation skills anymore?
 

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
7,844
Lol, all those that forgot they had to go to "work" and clock in, were dismissed. That's how they chose you, you very special 1700 idiots.
 

schumi

Honorary Master
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
25,085
Burning tyres and intimidation at Medupi

Cape Town – Disgruntled workers at Medupi power plant on Thursday morning allegedly placed burning tyres on the road entering the construction site to stop buses carrying people to work and then physically pulled them off the bus, according to eyewitness accounts and Eskom.

Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe said that some of the 1 700 workers who were currently facing disciplinary action or who were fired had on Thursday intimated workers from entering Medupi and ordered them to stay away from work.

Other sources who were at the scene, but who asked to remain anonymous, said they saw people being physically pulled off the bus.

“Only about 3 000 of the 8 000 blue collared labourers got inside, because those workers arrived before 08:00, when the intimidation occurred,” he told Fin24.

http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Burning-tyres-and-intimidation-at-Medupi-20150409
 
Top