Megamaster gas grills - opinions?

renierportier

Anyone have any opinions on the megamaster gas grills?

I intend to use it on a balcony, any opinions on them would be much appreciated!

renierportier

Don't post in the braai threads.
Well going to be honest I literally made this account to ask the question(so didnt realize there are braai threads), but I did see a lot of people being "grilled" for calling gas - braai. So, good call.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If you want to make gas work, whatever brand you end up getting, get cast iron grates.

It comes down to budget. If you have the extra money you'll want to invest in a Chef (not Chad-o-Chef) with higher pressure burners (more heat) or a Weber (some say they are overpriced, as somebody that owns three including a gas Q3300 I can assure you the quality is worth the price tag).

Nothing wrong with Cadac, Megamaster, Alva though, but I wouldn't spend a fortune on one.

My highly opinionated 2c.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Do you have a specific model in mind?

EDIT: And there's nothing wrong with gas. Sometimes you just don't want to stink of smoke or wait 40 minutes to "braai" a week night burger patty. Also much easier to cook a whole/flat chicken in one because of temperature control.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It comes down to budget. If you have the extra money you'll want to invest in a Chef (not Chad-o-Chef) with higher pressure burners (more heat) or a Weber (some say they are overpriced, as somebody that owns three including a gas Q3300 I can assure you the quality is worth the price tag).
I have a Weber Q - It's so old though I'm not sure what the modern model designator would be. It's one of the best cooking things I've ever bought.

Completely agree about cast iron grids. They make a huge difference.

renierportier

Do you have a specific model in mind?

EDIT: And there's nothing wrong with gas. Sometimes you just don't want to stink of smoke or wait 40 minutes to "braai" a week night burger patty. Also much easier to cook a whole/flat chicken in one because of temperature control.

I do, the Evolution 3 burner is what I have in mind. My biggest gripe with it is that it doesn't have cast iron grills. I absolutely love cast iron(my primary cooking tool is a cast iron pan). I also can't seem to find cast iron replacement grills on their website. That said, I've heard from numerous places that you can pretty much replace every single item on the grill so surely I should be able to find grids.

Smugs

Expert Member
Also a Weber Q owner here, the smallest one. One of the handiest cookers I own. If you in the mood for a quick chop and wors just light it up and in 15 minutes you ready. Also good for doing lamb rib etc low and slow. It's really light on gas and as said above cast iron grates are a must. They are pricey but in my mind worth it.
I used to knock the guys with gas grills till I ended up owning the Weber(Not intentionally), now my tune changed totally..

zeb

Expert Member
If you have the extra money you'll want to invest in a Chef (not Chad-o-Chef)

For me it's the other way round. Chad o Chef beats the Chef. It gets a lot hotter and does it faster as well.
My preference, and I own all 3, is Chad o Chef, Multibraai and then Chef.

ABU

Anyone have any opinions on the megamaster gas grills?

I intend to use it on a balcony, any opinions on them would be much appreciated!

I have a Megamaster Blaze 600 which has cast iron grids.
The major problem for me was the weak frame. If you keep it stationary, it should be fine, but if you store it in a shed and move it every time you use it, the entire frame gives up after a while.
The castors also start bending, as they can't seem to take the weight.

renierportier

T
I have a Megamaster Blaze 600 which has cast iron grids.
The major problem for me was the weak frame. If you keep it stationary, it should be fine, but if you store it in a shed and move it every time you use it, the entire frame gives up after a while.
The castors also start bending, as they can't seem to take the weight.

That's really not ideal, but it'll be stationary - for the time being at least.