• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Merits of Air fibre?

Corlius

Hi All

New here, and definitely not an expert - need your input on Air fibre, unfortunately no FTTH available in my area. Is Air Fibre = LTE? What must I look out for and what are the questions I should ask?

Thanks in advance

Corlius

Genisys

Executive Member
What is "Air fibre" anyway? There is no such thing if you ask me, its a fancy marketing term. Your last mile is either copper, LTE, Fibre, WiFi (No, this isn't air fibre) or any other wireless technology, air fibre doesn't exist however.

Now, I know a WISP will respond and defend their marketing, but realistically if you don't have a strand of fibre running into your house it simply isn't fibre, doesn't matter if the high site has fibre, it isn't fibre if the CPE connects via wireless.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
What is "Air fibre" anyway? There is no such thing if you ask me, its a fancy marketing term. Your last mile is either copper, LTE, Fibre, WiFi (No, this isn't air fibre) or any other wireless technology, air fibre doesn't exist however.
Add to your list WiMAX, Microwave, FSO.

Air Fibre is a marketing thing not a technical thing.

Corlius

Now, I know a WISP will respond and defend their marketing, but realistically if you don't have a strand of fibre running into your house it simply isn't fibre, doesn't matter if the high site has fibre, it isn't fibre if the CPE connects via wireless.
So other than the name being an issue, what questions do I need to ask? There is no FTTH network in my area and options are limited - what do you suggest?

---

No. Air fibre is a marketing term for wireless internet. An ISP typically has powerful dishes on a hill where you can connect to with a dish on your house. Its way more reliable than lte and offers uncapped packages.

MightyQuin

Executive Member
So other than the name being an issue, what questions do I need to ask? There is no FTTH network in my area and options are limited - what do you suggest?
Ask for a business solution. Then you will/should get wireless on a licensed spectrum with a business SLA. This a different solution than just wireless on the closest or most visible highsite.

Corlius

No. Air fibre is a marketing term for wireless internet. An ISP typically has powerful dishes on a hill where you can connect to with a dish on your house. Its way more reliable than lte and offers uncapped packages.
Thanks, that has answered some of my questions

killerbyte

Expert Member
Air Fiber is a Ubiquiti product and it's awesome!

Nothing to do with OP's situation though...
I came here expecting to see a discussion on those awesome antennas. Have yet to get a chance to play with them, they look potent!

sydCPT

The main questions I would ask are;
1. Is the spectrum licenced or unlicensed? If it is unlicensed, then there is no way for the WISP to guarantee your service. It might work great on day one, but if a neighbor decides to erect his own equipment and it starts interfering with your connection, there is no legal recourse, it's a free for all. Licenced spectrum is a different kettle of fish, but be prepared to pay for a business grade service
2. What is the SLA? If its uncapped, how much data before being throttled, if capped, are they guaranteeing the speed and what are the top up rates
3. Is this a reputable company or a fly-by-night gang? The last thing you want to do it pay the steep installation and equipment fees for a company with has hours of downtime every month and no support channels. Check their facebook page and ask around the community if anyone else has experience with them
4. If signing a fixed term contract, make sure there is a way to get out of it if the service isn't up to scratch.

I don't mean to sound negative, but all the experiences I have had with WISP's have been bad. It's almost impossible to give a decent service to someone over unlicensed spectrum, which is where most of these guys operate. As many have pointed out above, Air Fibre is nothing more than a (misleading) marketing term. There is no such thing, and dont let any of these companies tell you otherwise.

Best of luck

Corlius

The main questions I would ask are;
1. Is the spectrum licenced or unlicensed? If it is unlicensed, then there is no way for the WISP to guarantee your service. It might work great on day one, but if a neighbor decides to erect his own equipment and it starts interfering with your connection, there is no legal recourse, it's a free for all. Licenced spectrum is a different kettle of fish, but be prepared to pay for a business grade service
2. What is the SLA? If its uncapped, how much data before being throttled, if capped, are they guaranteeing the speed and what are the top up rates
3. Is this a reputable company or a fly-by-night gang? The last thing you want to do it pay the steep installation and equipment fees for a company with has hours of downtime every month and no support channels. Check their facebook page and ask around the community if anyone else has experience with them
4. If signing a fixed term contract, make sure there is a way to get out of it if the service isn't up to scratch.

I don't mean to sound negative, but all the experiences I have had with WISP's have been bad. It's almost impossible to give a decent service to someone over unlicensed spectrum, which is where most of these guys operate. As many have pointed out above, Air Fibre is nothing more than a (misleading) marketing term. There is no such thing, and dont let any of these companies tell you otherwise.

Best of luck
Perfect, thanks for all the insight

fundutzi

Corlius, you ask two questions.
a. What Air Fibre is.
As Thor stated, it is a product.
Wifi is terrible unless a motivated person manage it. Unless this is you, frustration, expect loss of hair or teeth.

b. You ask, in the absence of Fibre what persons suggest.
See if you can get VDSL. In South Africa you can get 40/10 Mbs depending on distance to exchange.

Give the approximate address so users can make accurate suggestions.