Meshing WiFi Signal Using Two Routers Via Two Telephone Ports

Good day,

I have two telephone ports installed in our house at opposite ends. We currently have a router installed at one end but would like to extend our WiFi range as it does not extend far enough.

Would it be possible to install a second router via the second telephone port at the other end and mesh both WiFi signals together?

I know this can be done by connecting both routers together with an ethernet cable but this is not a viable option.

Any advice / suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Would it be possible to install a second router via the second telephone port at the other end and mesh both WiFi signals together?
If you mean that you want two routers on the same telephone line - that will not work.

You need to assess other options, maybe a WiFi extender or run an Ethernet cable to another access point on that side of the house.

Düber

If you are looking at re-purposing the cable, then it might not work very well as telephone cables don't have twisted pairs only straight wires. So trying to use them for ethernet will result in very slow speeds if it works at all.

As suggested look at powerline adaptors or perhaps a wifi repeater, some routers are capable of this too.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
No, two routers cannot negotiate a connection on the same ADSL line at the same time.
If the cable in between the two points is simply a 2-wire extension on the same pair, then no you can't use that cable either.
If it is a multi-pair cable with at least 4 pairs, you might be able to use the cable as an ethernet connection, but the performance may not be very good at all.

fundutzi

Leviathan1701, Geoff already answered you re phone cable vs cat"X" cable.

Option a.
Link another Wifi access point with ethernet cable to existing router.
Best option 10/10.
=> You say you do not want to do this.

Option b as suggested.
Buy ethernet over power adaptors.
Some options here.
I rate these +- 4/10 reliable over time {12 months} compared to cable.

Option c as suggested.
Extend existing Wifi.
Some routers are more willing than others.
It can get particular quite quickly how to do this.
User needs differ. Perhaps you are not as picky as me.
I rate this +- 1/10 and best 3/10 reliable compared to cable over 12 months.
If you feel you have enough teeth and hair to loose go for this option.