Metro-Ethernet fibre network launched by Vodacom Business

DarkHelmet

What is the point of launching it and you cannot give pricing? A bit pointless! I just phoned 082-1930 and no-one can give me more info. Phone at the end of the month.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Wow i wonder how the 1Gbps service will run? as it seems Telkom's (SAIX) network is like 100Mpbs country wide... big bottle neck lol

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Wow i wonder how the 1Gbps service will run? as it seems Telkom's (SAIX) network is like 100Mpbs country wide... big bottle neck lol

I'm going to try and not be rude to you... but you have no clue what you are talking about.

Fantastic1

What is the point of launching it and you cannot give pricing? A bit pointless! I just phoned 082-1930 and no-one can give me more info. Phone at the end of the month.

Yes you correct - it like saying hey we got 20Mb ADSL exclusively from XYZ ISP but no pricing - rather put the press release when pricing is available
and when the call centre people know this.

ruan567

Also, I'd like to know if we are within range, so areas would be appreciated along with the pricing.

Fantastic1

Lewis Hamilton and Vodacom Metro E gonna have a shootout shortly at Kyalami - Hamilton is in Kyalami at the moment

the new Metro E fibre network will beat Lewis Hamilton http://bit.ly/metroE by 10 seconds as per the tweet received

Last edited:

BrokenLink

off course the fibre won.....why would they flew in hamilton and have him beat their new service :D thats just a terrible promo ;)

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Metro E Fibre and Lewis Hamilton neck-on-neck!

Official press statement from Vodacom Business:

In a nail-biting race over three laps on Tuesday, 20 April, Vodacom Business’ Metro Ethernet Fibre network (Metro E) barely beat Formula One Driver’s World Champion Lewis Hamilton in a neck-on-neck race between man against data.

Blue-chip captains of industry; members of the media and other guests stood in common awe as they watched the amazing performance of skill, speed and control displayed with such easy grace by Lewis Hamilton. Adrenalin bursting, famous radio personality Sasha Martiningo gave the countdown, tyres burned and they were off – a once-in-a-lifetime race against time, and a certain showstopper as Lewis showed what makes him a World Number One.

As part of the challenge, Lewis raced around the 4.2km Kyalami Race Track in Johannesburg against a data capsule of 5.4GB of data transmitted across Vodacom Business’ super-fast, high-capacity Metro Ethernet fibre network from Midrand to Sandton.

On the third non-standing race lap, Lewis’ time of 2.0 minutes exactly matched that of the data capsule; however with his first-lap time of 2.11 minutes and a second lap of 2.09 minutes, Metro E just managed to take the overall race on average lap times.

The 5.4GB of data was enough to contain about 5 full-length movies of about 1GB each. Lewis, as part of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 team, was competing against Metro E in a Mercedes-Benz AMG C63, which has a top speed of 250km/h.

Lewis Hamilton said about the race: “This was a unique challenge – I’m used to racing against a person and not technology. The moment I got into my car I knew that the speed at which the information travels would be very hard to beat – however that was the challenge.”

Ermano Quartero, Managing Executive of Products and Services at Vodacom Business, says the day was all about high technology, high speed, high performance, and high reliability and celebrated a milestone for Vodacom Business and South African enterprises.

“Metro E provides the capacity and speed to fulfill all big business’ mission-critical and time-sensitive connectivity needs – reliably and cost-effectively. With Metro E, businesses have access to a super-fast, high capacity fibre connection, giving them greater control over what they send and how they connect and communicate.”

Will Lewis be back for a repeat performance?

“I love it in South Africa! I’ve received an incredible reception from its people – and I really didn’t have a full idea of the following I have here. It’s been a great experience and I really enjoyed racing on the Kyalami race track.”

Crummy_Gummy

It seems that Vodacom Business has forgotten about the VPS we ordered in January so I wouldn't hold you breath. Their service stinks unless your top 500.

entrepr

Expert Member
Just requested a service from Vodacom Business. Their speed of response would be more akin to camel racing than Lewis Hamilton, except that most of the camels finish the race!

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I'm going to try and not be rude to you... but you have no clue what you are talking about.

Not to be rude, But if you have a 1Gbps connection from Vodacom, then you try to transfer data from a SAIX data center how fast do you think it would run, my apologies’ if I did not word it in a way you could understand.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Well firstly, they could peer with the data center at whatever speed they needed to peer at and secondly they could peer with anyone else on the fiber network and easily get those speeds.

ANYWAY

They are not talking about providing a gigabit connection to a single machine, they are talking about providing a gigabit connection to your network (or your organizations network). That means what you are purchasing is a gigabit link between your network and the Vodacom fiber network. International speeds and local speeds are a different story.

Oh and BTW we have more than a gigabit of bandwidth at our office (12 000 people) so yes its possible and yes it works.