Metro Fibre Network Topology (MFN)

toobs009

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum so please forgive me if this topic was discussed somewhere else previously. Also please excuse my stupidity and ignorance but can anyone perhaps confirm if MetroFibre Networx is making use of microwave links within their network topology designs. If so, does anyone perhaps have a network diagram. I would like to know how the network topology interconnects the different network equipment via microwave link, ONT, router etc

Some service providers deployed metro Ethernet networks using fixed wireless technology. These networks commonly are engineered with a majority of the network traffic using a mesh of multi-point and point-to-point microwave links.

Access devices normally exist at a customer's premises, unit, or wireless base station. This is the network that connects customer equipment, and may include optical network terminal (ONT), a residential gateway, or office router.

Thanks!

toobs009

It's for FTTB
I'm fairly new to Metro Fibre and I was under the impression it was a physical connection. I had a client who reported their internet medium to be offline. After onsite troubleshooting it was determined there is a fibre break in the cable. We originally suspected it to be power related as the client mentioned there was a POE that was unplugged. This baffled me a bit but I went okay..it;s only after the client said they are on top of the roof to investigate the link further that I started to question the interconnection of the topology

websquadza

WebSquad
As far as I know, MFN use their own wireless network and 3rd party providers to deliver off-net or temporary links while they wait for wayleaves or builds (fairly common these days because no one wants to hear about 6-12 month lead times).

These will be CIR L2 services delivered to their CPE. MFN use an MPLS/VPLS technology in their Metro (Business) network between their core and client sites. The wireless in this case replaces the last mile fibre, and is transparent to you. They usually install a Juniper or ADVA CPE and your service is presented on a port on that device. Your router will then connect to this CPE and establish an internet connection.

With regards to your client above, they were either out of range, or MFN decided that a wireless link would assist in bridging the install period (that's up to your client to query with them). However, the service itself is usually identical (in speed, maybe a small bump in latency). Licensed wireless technology is a pretty decent product - as long as its power stays on.

toobs009

As far as I know, MFN use their own wireless network and 3rd party providers to deliver off-net or temporary links while they wait for wayleaves or builds (fairly common these days because no one wants to hear about 6-12 month lead times).

These will be CIR L2 services delivered to their CPE. MFN use an MPLS/VPLS technology in their Metro (Business) network between their core and client sites. The wireless in this case replaces the last mile fibre, and is transparent to you. They usually install a Juniper or ADVA CPE and your service is presented on a port on that device. Your router will then connect to this CPE and establish an internet connection.

With regards to your client above, they were either out of range, or MFN decided that a wireless link would assist in bridging the install period (that's up to your client to queery with them). However, the service itself is usually identical (in speed, maybe a small bump in latency). Licensed wireless technology is a pretty decent product - as long as its power stays on.
That makes perfect sense as the MFN support engineer indicated possible damage to ADVA when initial tesitng was performed. It was apparent that someone had been messing around in the server room as we were informed that a 3rd party company had been doing maintenance on the electrical system. This caused us to believe that there might have been a power surge that might have caused damages to the ADVA and hence the POE was also unplugged..

Thank you so much @ websquadza, this is exactly the response I was looking for, much appreciated!!

toobs009

That makes perfect sense as the MFN support engineer indicated possible damage to ADVA when initial tesitng was performed. It was apparent that someone had been messing around in the server room as we were informed that a 3rd party company had been doing maintenance on the electrical system. This caused us to believe that there might have been a power surge that might have caused damages to the ADVA and hence the POE was also unplugged..

Thank you so much @ websquadza, this is exactly the response I was looking for, much appreciated!!
This is a primary dedicated 200mbps line so I doubt it's a temp (bridge) install but I will most definitely confirm with the SP

under_sky

Expert Member
Had a chat to my guy today at the NOC for MFN and he told me they have recently moved from mikrotik to Juniper for the hardware
But did tell me also that they wont go beyond 200mbps from the looks of it for now

toobs009

Had a chat to my guy today at the NOC for MFN and he told me they have recently moved from mikrotik to Juniper for the hardware
But did tell me also that they wont go beyond 200mbps from the looks of it for now
Thnx for the feedback under_sky. As per my limited knowledge I tend to think Juniper is a better choice as Miktorik tends to lock up sometimes in my experience