Metrofibre Feedback

Which ISP are you using on the MFN Network?

• Total voters

EpicPotato

Which is the best ISP to go for on Metrofibre?
Best price and service?
Something closest to the Telkom R399 offer for 25mbs.
WebAfrica I think offered something similar, but you're also getting the short end of the stick for reliability.
I said feck it and went with Cool Ideas instead. Install on Tuesday.

system32

Expert Member
They came to install today at my place and the run is 75 meters but they said they only do 50 meters free and I need to pay for the balance of the 25 meters so not sure how it works
With another FNO.
I had a similar distance problem - about 60 meters.
I dug a small narrow trenched (40cm deep) and laid PVC tube from boundary to building.
Up the wall and thru the roof to where I needed the termination.
I put in two "service eye" every 20 meters apart.
Used a fish tape to pull the fiber between the "service eyes"

1631974145051.png
Saved me $$$

Impala

Has anyone had experience with Wan4u?

They have really great prices: https://wan4u.co.za/fibre/
Have a friend that is with them, so far no complaints. Here is another post of them advertising here. They are quite a known WISP in Pretoria.

We have SUPER CHEAP uncapped fibre packages available.
Wan4u and MetroFibre are partnering, to bring you great fibre deals.
Come and dare to compare our prices!!!
1f601.png
https://ftthorder.metrofibre.co.za/marke.../marketplaceindex
For more information please visit us on www.wan4u.co.za
Only Available in Gauteng
View attachment 1064435

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
With another FNO.
I had a similar distance problem - about 60 meters.
I dug a small narrow trenched (40cm deep) and laid PVC tube from boundary to building.
Up the wall and thru the roof to where I needed the termination.
I put in two "service eye" every 20 meters apart.
Used a fish tape to pull the fiber between the "service eyes"

View attachment 1150348
Saved me $$$
We are a big fan of this, we actually did most of the work on our personal build.

If you manage to do it all yourself and have some fish tape there and setup or even just string, they will happily do even up to 100m for you in most cases. Plus, you have the bonus of running it the way you want to run it, at your own quality and time.

Noticed quite a few FNO's don't even us PVC cement and will skip on the trunking if they go under a house, so you might need to babysit them for some installs.

You can even save and go with polycop to save a bunch, can get 50m for R300 or so, one length and use a pipe, bender.

system32

Expert Member
@system32 Are you using MWEB as your ISP? If so, how are they in terms of stability & service etc?
My employer (work-from-home) took over the line and moved it to MWEB - so not my choice.
Employer pays for 50Mbps, I play the uplift to 200Mbps.
Having said that, MWEB has been good so far - they dependent on MetroFibre for most fixes.
Performance is good - matches the marketing speed - I have a RPI4 monitoring the line.
There was a congestion problem about 7 months back, which took them a while to acknowledge and resolve.
Overall I'm happy - remember most outages are MetroFibre cable breaks and not the ISP.

system32

Expert Member
Can you have more than one FNO?
Normally no - Fibre Network Operator (FNO) lays the cable and they try not to enter a suburb that is already cabled by another FNO.
The costs to fibre cable a suburb are high and FNO need a certain up take to make it financially viable.
There are a few suburbs where more than one FNO operate - but not common.
I've heard (but not seen) that Openserve sometimes use the existing poles to cable fibre and reduce costs of cabling and thus allowing them to compete in a suburb.
A more common competitor to Fibre is LTE/5G/Wisp - but they normally run into congestion if there is a high uptake.

Most FNO's are "open access" where you can select the ISP of your choice.
Your interface is with the ISP who deals with the FNO.

Ghost64

Expert Member
Normally no - Fibre Network Operator (FNO) lays the cable and they try not to enter a suburb where that is already cabled by another FNO.
The costs to fibre cable a suburb are high and FNO need a certain up take to make it financially viable.
There are a few suburbs where more than one FNO operate - but not common.
A more common competitor to Fibre is LTE/5G/Wisp - but they normally run into conjestion if there is a high uptake.

Most FNO's are "open access" where you can select the ISP of your choice.
Metro fibre seems to restrictive and pricy.

system32

Expert Member
Metro fibre seems to restrictive and pricy.
Restrictive how?
They an open access network - same as Vumatel and OpenServe.
Most IPS offer services on their infrastructure.

They were expensive until they upgrade everyone to double for free.
Their prices now seem reasonable up to 100Mbps - comparable to others.
They not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Sadly looks like the Amberfield OLT has been getting congested during peak times. Netflix times the line is struggling about. Local still good but international tank because of the retransmits no doubt.

fgdsujgfj.PNG

georgelza

would be great if someone from Metrofiber can make themselves known, I'd like to have some information about their Jeffreysbay rollout.

G

Genisys

Honorary Master
would be great if someone from Metrofiber can make themselves known, I'd like to have some information about their Jeffreysbay rollout.

G
Why not phone them or email them? When they were rolling out they were more than happy to answer the same old question people always ask: "When will you be going live?"

Ghostfibre

Company Rep

G
We actually have some details planned for MFN in Jeffery's Bay. They are busy running Termination Points to a bunch of places currently, hoping to get an update soon regarding the rollout and go-live dates.

georgelza

Why not phone them or email them? When they were rolling out they were more than happy to answer the same old question people always ask: "When will you be going live?"
ye, Iv'e tried... got the blanket answer, we're busy, you have TP, make contact with your ISP and they will inform you when we have commissioned the network.

G

georgelza

We actually have some details planned for MFN in Jeffery's Bay. They are busy running Termination Points to a bunch of places currently, hoping to get an update soon regarding the rollout and go-live dates.

hmm, looking at most of the streets around us here in Wavecrest, seeing just about zero activity the last 2/3 weeks, after they put the conduit in the ground and installed the TP in the house.

G