MetroFibre gets billions to grow fibre network in South Africa

rpm

Admin
Staff member
MetroFibre gets billions to expand fibre network in South Africa

Fibre network operator MetroFibre Networx has secured R2.5 billion in debt funding to expand its fibre rollout in South Africa.

This financing was arranged by banking and investment firm Investec, and will be used to extend MetroFibre’s fibre connectivity into underserviced homes and businesses.

Ecco

Executive Member
Great, now how about dropping prices and offering better speeds? Vumatel is starting to offer 10Gb connections but Metrofibre is still stuck on 200Mbps at about R1800 a month.
We wish dude. That funding is not to pass on discounts to us, its for them to expand.

Obviously they will go where there arent any other fibre providers, and lack of competition means they can keep charging what they want.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
We wish dude. That funding is not to pass on discounts to us, its for them to expand.

Obviously they will go where there arent any other fibre providers, and lack of competition means they can keep charging what they want.

But at least one will have fibre, and not just (hopefully) ADSL/wireless

EzD

But at least one will have fibre, and not just (hopefully) ADSL/wireless
Fibre that is more expensive than ADSL and more expensive than some Wireless solutions. Over pricing customers the way they do is just as bad as not having fibre. Guess its fibre and people need to just be grateful for being overpriced and having a fairly unstable network?

eg2505

Honorary Master
if one pricing strategy works for one Fibre provider, why innovate?
People wont notice the difference anyway.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Fibre that is more expensive than ADSL and more expensive than some Wireless solutions. Over pricing customers the way they do is just as bad as not having fibre. Guess its fibre and people need to just be grateful for being overpriced and having a fairly unstable network?

Just R40pm more for a 10mbps fibre vs ADSL on Afrihost from what I can see. If the people don't want 10mbps upload speed and are happy with ADSL stability, then they can stay on that,

EzD

Just R40pm more for a 10mbps fibre vs ADSL on Afrihost from what I can see. If the people don't want 10mbps upload speed and are happy with ADSL stability, then they can stay on that,
Look at their higher speeds, that us where the issue lays. R1800 for 200/200 is ridiculous. Even Vumatel (which people get upset about on this Forum rather often) is less expensive. Metrofibre is showing traits of the Telkom of old.

EzD

if one pricing strategy works for one Fibre provider, why innovate?
People wont notice the difference anyway.
My wallet notices. Over charging is bad and should be discouraged no matter what.

psavv

Dump them. Grossly overpriced, arrogant and service is pathetic also. Line is definitely not stable, keeps dropping and my whole complex keeps on complaining.

I wish they would replace MetroFibre with anything else as i cannot imagine anything worse.

EzD

Dump them. Grossly overpriced, arrogant and service is pathetic also. Line is definitely not stable, keeps dropping and my whole complex keeps on complaining.

I wish they would replace MetroFibre with anything else as i cannot imagine anything worse.
If I had a choice I would move to literally any other provider just to make a point.

Ecco

Executive Member
If I had a choice I would move to literally any other provide just to make a point.

And that is the problem right there, we stuck, no options to move. This is the nature of fibre. There is literally 1 line in the ground, no other options.

Any for a long time I don't see any companies deciding to lay fibre were its already been laid, too much new ground to cover.

Unless you move house, probably going to be stuck with them for a long time.

Joseph matane

Am more interested in upcoming roll out area's I suspect it won't be really underserved areas I have feeling those new markets are covered with small FNO infrastructure

Reactions: Yuu

wernervn

In my area, MFN trenched a week after Openserve put up aerial fiber. Their prices are so much higher than Openserve I cannot see anyone taking them up on any of their packages.

wernervn

Which area...??
Pierre van Ryneveld X4, Centurion.

I've also heard that Openserve has started deploying aerial fiber to other extensions where MFN already has a presence. This might prompt MFN to reduce their pricing or start losing customers.

Are you in the same boat?

lordnokon

Pierre van Ryneveld X4, Centurion.

I've also heard that Openserve has started deploying aerial fiber to other extensions where MFN already has a presence. This might prompt MFN to reduce their pricing or start losing customers.

Are you in the same boat?

Zwartkop Centurion...

Same situation... Openserve installed aerial fibre wihtin 2 weeks for the entire area... MFN did all the works months ago, but no floating of fibre has commence. So everyone is going with Openserve in the area.

Nereus77

MetroFibre recently rolled out in my area and is now live. Lockdown complicated things so its taken a while to finish.
Once my ISP gives me the green light (small ISP, doesn't normally work with MFN) I should be switched over.
At least some of my neighbours now sitting happy with fibre.

Look, they are expensive but at least my small town actually has fibre now....