Michael Jordaan explains why Rain has sided with ICASA in the fight over temporary spectrum

The table below, which comes from MTN, shows the use of temporary spectrum.
I see what MTN did there. The image/table/screenshot is so small, no one can read it.

I still don't buy this from Rain.. they aren't doing this for the good of the market or anything like this.

And I do think the temporary spectrum does need to be revoked, but not on relatively short notice, and also not without the spectrum auction date/process being set in stone and all parties being on board with it.

And I do think the temporary spectrum does need to be revoked, but not on relatively short notice, and also not without the spectrum auction date/process being set in stone and all parties being on board with it.
I agree with you. We have seen spectrum wasted for 13 years because of government incompetence and vested interests. It is currently at least being used.

The simple solution is to say - use the spectrum until the action takes place. They can even have a clause to say if you sue ICASA you must give your spectrum back :)

I agree with you. We have seen spectrum wasted for 13 years because of government incompetence and vested interests. It is currently at least being used.

The simple solution is to say - use the spectrum until the action takes place. They can even have a clause to say if you sue ICASA you must give your spectrum back :)

I got a reply from Uncle rpm... I am blessed :D

And yeah I also largely approve of the idea of "you sue ICASA, you hand back the spectrum until the end of the court case if the outcome is in your favour"

Back