Microsoft accused of forcing Edge browser on Windows users

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Microsoft accused of forcing Edge browser on Windows users

Microsoft’s rollout of its new Chromium-based Edge in Windows has been slammed as a forceful and intrusive attempt to get people to switch to its browser.

Multiple publications – including The Verge, Windows Central, and 9to5Google – have reported on complaints from users after the company started automatically installing the new Edge browser in an automatic update in early June.

Users of multiple versions of the operating system – including Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 – have been left frustrated by Edge performing several unrequested actions after its installation.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I mean it's not like Microsoft has never behaved like this before. They'll pay a few million Euros fine in the EU, but everyone else will pretty much just ignore it.

Arthur

Honorary Master
"Forcing"?

Example #88377939092783004048793 of SJW inability to understand words and meanings.

davepl

I immediately googled how to remove it (Using Firefox), after failing using settings, when I was presented with edge after the update. The first hit was from ms windows support and that method involved changing permission and it failed to remove edge. The second hit involved using powershell to rename the executables and that got rid of it, didn't remove it but it was the last I'd heard from it.

access

Honorary Master
it appears i posted this in the wrong thread lol

anyway..

open task manager > select edge browser > end task. kill it dead in its tracks

and yes its damn annoying having to deal with their advertising after an update. even this little balloon popup pointing to it a bit later.

tsek

konfab

Honorary Master
It was a component of the OS when they installed Windows. Them updating it is doing everyone a favour as the new version of Edge is fantastic.

Apple can force their garbage browser onto everyone who has their iTotalitarian OS installed.
Google can pester me with Chrome adverts every time I open up Google sheets with Edge.

But Microsoft updating a browser to something that is actually good (so good that I actually use it)? No wrong wrong wrong.

Grouter

Expert Member
I tried the new Edge. Installed it, set it as default, imported everything from Chrome. I used it for 2 months. Not bad - very familiar if you're a dyed-in-the-wool chrome user like me. After 2 months of using it as my sole browser every day, I went back to chrome, for the only reason that I liked chrome's new tab page better. I had no problems with it otherwise.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I was not "forced" to upgrade to the new version. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade - BECAUSE I know how the upgrade process works and have ensured that my laptops and other devices are set up to ensure nothing happens without my express agreement.
So, this "forcing" is just rubbish and carelessness on the part of users.

However, having said that, the new version is terrible compared to the original version of Edge. There many many problems with it. It is a pretty large learning curve to find out what all has been changed. There al all sorts of things going wrong. Clashes between it and other MS approved Apps, stuttering performance, poor to useless pdf reader, clashes with images, difficulties in using standard windows features such as "tiling open sessions", difficulties in getting rid of Bing if you do not want to use it, clashes with settings regarding signing on with a local account, the list goes on and on.
This version is so bad, that I can't believe it reached point of even being classified as "beta" ready.

davepl

I was not "forced" to upgrade to the new version. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade - BECAUSE I know how the upgrade process works and have ensured that my laptops and other devices are set up to ensure nothing happens without my express agreement.
So, this "forcing" is just rubbish and carelessness on the part of users.

However, having said that, the new version is terrible compared to the original version of Edge. There many many problems with it. It is a pretty large learning curve to find out what all has been changed. There al all sorts of things going wrong. Clashes between it and other MS approved Apps, stuttering performance, poor to useless pdf reader, clashes with images, difficulties in using standard windows features such as "tiling open sessions", difficulties in getting rid of Bing if you do not want to use it, clashes with settings regarding signing on with a local account, the list goes on and on.
This version is so bad, that I can't believe it reached point of even being classified as "beta" ready.
You can't be using the latest Windows 10, it just updates when it feels like it and there's no more setting for it to ask first. In my mind that's "Forced"

rustypup

Expert Member
You can't be using the latest Windows 10, it just updates when it feels like it and there's no more setting for it to ask first
So you want to remain un-patched, exposed, infected and actively infecting others? ...and in your mind you're a hero*?

i) They've been informing all and sundry for MORE THAN A YEAR about this.

ii) The change was absolutely required. With a bunch more to follow.

Because their consumers are FARKING IDIOTS who will rant about a browser being a "virus" whilst happily installing actual virus-laden bloatware like it was chocolates. Then whine about nobody is doing anything to protect them from their own idiocy.

You are not forced to use the browser. Whine harder.

...*/not forgetting all the "heroes" running XP and Windows 7

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You can't be using the latest Windows 10, it just updates when it feels like it and there's no more setting for it to ask first. In my mind that's "Forced"

1593781865962.png

Happy now? Clearly you have done VERY little to make sure you now how to run Windows 10

rh1

Managed to kill with a blikkie Doom. Good for pastors good for windows.

I used google. Read up on it and followed a website instructions. It was not straight forward, but I killed it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Isn't this how the MS browser have always behaved, but now that it is updated to a new revision it is an issue? I mean, it is the MS ecosystem.

Chromebook, does it come with Chrome pre-installed?