Microsoft Azure servers coming to South Africa

Xzib1t

Expert Member
4515147cbd774c8af480405cbc8642d8f02d2a305cd1f2e73a3202675be1157f.jpg

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Will this be like Groove music when they promised to roll it out here in 2012 already when it was still called Xbox live music?

roguemat

Expert Member
Will this be like Groove music when they promised to roll it out here in 2012 already when it was still called Xbox live music?
I'm not sure if it ever officially rolled out here, but I've been subscribed since the Xbox Music days from here just fine.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This was completely a matter of time...

Microsoft knew they needed to bring Cloud Services to this country and the continent as well.

Thankfully they didn't wait toooo long :)

HunterGR

Expert Member
About time this happened.

So many people have moved to the cloud and others want to but the stumbling block was always the international bandwidth...

Google killed MSFT in this regard

Praemon

Expert Member
I'm glad Microsoft has finally plucked up the courage and is investing locally for data centers. I hope AWS and Google Cloud wake up and also add local data centers, but that seems unlikely. I'll definitely migrate from AWS/GC once local Azure servers are available.

Yay. Local Halo servers!

To be fair though, Halo 5's matchmaking is amazing. Never notice lag. Don't know how they do it, since no other game/dev manages the same performance. But if this filters through to other games, it could be a big boost for Xbox locally.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
Google killed MSFT in this regard
In what regard would that be?

In terms of size (# of services), Microsoft is only just behind AWS and way ahead of Google, so not sure where exactly Google killed Microsoft.

In terms of data center count, Microsoft is far ahead of the pack. Number of services provided, AWS and Microsoft is also far ahead. Google lags behind in all aspects of this game.

HunterGR

Expert Member
In what regard would that be?

In terms of size (# of services), Microsoft is only just behind AWS and way ahead of Google, so not sure where exactly Google killed Microsoft.

In terms of data center count, Microsoft is far ahead of the pack. Number of services provided, AWS and Microsoft is also far ahead. Google lags behind in all aspects of this game.

I stand corrected, I was under the impression that Google had a data center in Africa already, which is not the case.

In any case, MSFT is going forward and i am sure the "cloud revolution" will now really take off in SA