Microsoft data centres will create 100,000 new jobs in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Microsoft data centres will create 100,000 new jobs in South Africa

Communications Deputy Minister Pinky Kekana says Microsoft’s decision to invest in Africa through South Africa by building two data centres, is arguably one of the biggest Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) investments on the continent to date.

“Not only is it a remarkable display of confidence in the South African Government, it is also an illustration that the clarion call of Thuma Mina did not just end in Cape Town or around our borders - it also reached Silicon Valley with great speed,” Kekana said.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master

Swa

Honorary Master
Somehow I think he misread another 3 zeroes in there. It doesn't take that much to run a data centre. Or maybe it does with AA. Where are we going to get 100,000 skilled individuals in any case?

gamer16

Honorary Master
No it won't, even if they needed to the majority would be foreigners as the skilled people have emigrated already.

damian24

I doubt they're referring to direct jobs (viz. in d/c), probably they meant consequential - the suggestion being that because the DC is in South Africa, that it will magically create 100k jobs... Given the brain drain, the lower cost of skills in other (eastern) markets and that, but for latency, those DC services were already accessable in another territory - I doubt that it's possible that it would actually lead to the suggestion in the article.

What will 100% happen is that MS will be better able to extract funds from local companies needing low latency and data residency here - at the expense of a locally based company that would have kept to bulk of revenue here.

Time will tell - I guess.

D

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I'm sure all these new jobs will be a bright lining to the miners that are getting retrenched.............

Our workforce isn't geared for this, most will probably be out sourced and the ones that stays local will probably lead to some increases for the guys already skilled in this line of work.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm sure all these new jobs will be a bright lining to the miners that are getting retrenched.............

Our workforce isn't geared for this, most will probably be out sourced and the ones that stays local will probably lead to some increases for the guys already skilled in this line of work.
The 100000 jobs thing is a pure bollocks... anyone who wanted to use the cloud was anyway, this is just a way of bringing down their latencies and such... It may bring a few more cloud jobs to some companies, but it will possibly be at the expense of a few DC engineer jobs at some of the local hosting providers who may have to scale back operations as people move workloads to Azure...

And as in the other thread, this reference to 4IR is actually getting frustrating now. Our politicians have picked up on this, and are applying it to things that have very little to do with the 4IR really...

Happy Days

The 100000 jobs thing is a pure bollocks... anyone who wanted to use the cloud was anyway, this is just a way of bringing down their latencies and such... It may bring a few more cloud jobs to some companies, but it will possibly be at the expense of a few DC engineer jobs at some of the local hosting providers who may have to scale back operations as people move workloads to Azure...

And as in the other thread, this reference to 4IR is actually getting frustrating now. Our politicians have picked up on this, and are applying it to things that have very little to do with the 4IR really...
You have to understand it's the ANC we're talking about. Words like revolution, regime, white monopoly capital, Indian cabal, etc. is still very much part of their lexicon.

eg2505

Honorary Master
You have to understand it's the ANC we're talking about. Words like revolution, regime, white monopoly capital, Indian cabal, etc. is still very much part of their lexicon.
all the White people will bring us money to buy BMW's

Happy Days

all the White people will bring us money to buy BMW's
Like the idiot who dropped-kick Arnold and, while being dragged off by security, kept shouting "Help me, buy me a Lamborghini, help me, buy me a Lamborghini".