Microsoft Edge – The best browser for Netflix streaming

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
Microsoft Edge – The best browser for Netflix streaming

Microsoft’s new Edge browser, which uses the same engine as Google Chrome, is now available for download.

The updated version of Edge is based on Chromium, Google’s open-source web browser, and has been in beta testing for a year.

Microsoft stated that the new browser was built “from the ground up” for “world-class compatibility and performance” with enhanced security and privacy features, making it the “only browser optimised for Windows 10”.

access

Honorary Master
i use edge, but also 6 other browsers.

its been this way since edge came out.

R4ziel

Expert Member
What is Edge? I don't see how streaming Netflix can be greatly affected by what browser you use, Chrome and Firefox do the job perfectly!

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I've been using the public release build of Edge for barely two hours now and I think I'm going to switch from Chrome. Sites are loading noticeably faster even with my usual Chrome extensions installed. I've also noticed better rendering on some sites, without the usual popping of some elements.

And I am sick and tired of ads on mobile. Having a corresponding mobile browser with my desktop bookmarks that also blocks ads is a big deal.

Anyone use Microsoft Edge?

Anyone?
Yes, quite a lot of people considering that it's the default Windows 10 browser. And the new Edge, which is based on Chromium so renders the same as Chrome, is an amazing browser. Privacy has been dramatically improved, it has smooth scrolling, reading modes, it supports Google Earth's web app now and can install any browser extension that Chrome can.

It also has the huge advantage of having a Chromium mobile app with ad blocking built in. Mobile ads on mobile are cancer, but if you don't use Chrome on Android/iOS you don't have your bookmarks on hand.

But does it block ads like Brave?
It has all the main ad blocking extensions in the Windows Store, and it supports Chrome extensions. Even the old crappy Edge supported ad blocking extensions. Unlike Brave, you aren't force fed a particular blocking solution. You can choose whatever you want, which should obviously be uBlock Origin.

What is Edge? I don't see how streaming Netflix can be greatly affected by what browser you use, Chrome and Firefox do the job perfectly!
Streaming can be, due to the resolution supported by the browser. Apparently only 720p Netflix is possible in Chrome and Firefox - but you can stream 1080p or 4K with the new Edge browser. So that's a pretty huge difference.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Streaming can be, due to the resolution supported by the browser. Apparently only 720p Netflix is possible in Chrome and Firefox - but you can stream 1080p or 4K with the new Edge browser. So that's a pretty huge difference.
I must admit I did not know that, I haven't noticed any horrible quality from Netflix streaming so I haven't wondered about that. I might actually have to give Edge a go, maybe try it for a week to see how it goes

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No thanks. Won't support a web monopoly so Firefox has to make do.
Yes, quite a lot of people considering that it's the default Windows 10 browser. And the new Edge, which is based on Chromium so renders the same as Chrome, is an amazing browser. Privacy has been dramatically improved, it has smooth scrolling, reading modes, it supports Google Earth's web app now and can install any browser extension that Chrome can.
Lol 5.65% share is definitly not a lot. It's just a blip.

Just sideload this extension for 1080p playback in Chrome and FF https://github.com/truedread/netflix-1080p/releases/tag/v1.19

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No thanks. Won't support a web monopoly so Firefox has to make do.
Lol 5.65% share is definitly not a lot. It's just a blip.

Just sideload this extension for 1080p playback in Chrome and FF https://github.com/truedread/netflix-1080p/releases/tag/v1.19
Having half the userbase of each of Safari and Firefox is still a lot of users. And that was for a terrible browser. The new Edge is nothing like the old one.

No one is arguing that either of Chrome or Firefox are crap browsers. That's not the point. The new Edge is thus far the best mix of features I've come across in a browser though. And you don't need an extension just to enable 1080p Netflix, plus you can play 4K as well.

- Google Earth Web doesn't just work but is supernaturally fast. Better than Chrome somehow.
- Best-in-class Webkit rendering plus smooth scrolling
- Has a Chromium mobile app with ad blocking and your desktop bookmarks. This is pretty much the winning move single-handedly.
- Supports all Chrome extensions
- Much more privacy-focused than Chrome. The list of crap that the Microsoft devs stripped out is insane.

I trust Microsoft way, way more than Google.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It has all the main ad blocking extensions in the Windows Store, and it supports Chrome extensions. Even the old crappy Edge supported ad blocking extensions. Unlike Brave, you aren't force fed a particular blocking solution. You can choose whatever you want, which should obviously be uBlock Origin.
I should've used my sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek font.

Maybe it has improved but this was my last outing with it (very "excited" at first):

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I should've used my sarcasm/tongue-in-cheek font.

Maybe it has improved but this was my last outing with it (very "excited" at first):
That was not a public release of the browser. I used it extensively as an Insider Build and can already notice that it's been improved a lot.

splattie

Since our IT guys don't run updates (Windows 10 on 1703 and Edge on 40.something) I will continue using Chrome.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So, what's this newfandangled Edge browsers latest version? Just to check...
Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 79.0.309.65 (Official build) (64-bit)

This browser is made possible by the Chromium open source project and other open source software.
I have been testing it today, quite nice and the settings are more intuitive and easier accessible.