Microsoft have rocky start to financial year

rwenzori

Honorary Master
The central gambit for 2013 is that its touch-friendly Windows 8 software – due out around October – will fire consumers’ imaginations and take root among Microsoft’s core business audience.

Not looking too hopeful for MS on that score.

The only WOW!-factor I am seeing is 'WOW! - that's horrible!"

I reckon the only things that are likely to be fired are a couple of people called Steve.

Mouse

Expert Member
Not looking too hopeful for MS on that score.

The only WOW!-factor I am seeing is 'WOW! - that's horrible!"

I reckon the only things that are likely to be fired are a couple of people called Steve.

+1

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Some really odd predictions and interpretations in that article....

Yes, its not a great start to the financial year on paper, but hells bells Windows 8 and the Surface and Windows phone 8 is going to be massive.

And one can't ignore Windows Server 2012, Office 2012, etc etc...

Frikkenator

Expert Member
Some really odd predictions and interpretations in that article....

Yes, its not a great start to the financial year on paper, but hells bells Windows 8 and the Surface and Windows phone 8 is going to be massive.

And one can't ignore Windows Server 2012, Office 2012, etc etc...

Yea... I wouldn't call $5.8bn profit for a quarter "stumbling". Everyone knew they were gonna write off the $6bn, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Mouse

Expert Member
Yea... I wouldn't call $5.8bn profit for a quarter "stumbling". Everyone knew they were gonna write off the $6bn, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

That's $6 - $5.8bn = 200 million LOSS. Therefore, stumbling.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Ummm no not really stumbling,

The write-down was actually expected from what I know.

Plus, a company that has around $60bn in CASH is hardly something I would class as stumbling, or even vaguely close to anything negative. Actually, they saw quarterly revenue GROW...

Yes, some of you guys don't like MS, or the products they're punting atm... but they will still be insanely succesful.

For those that seem to struggle with the concept, the write-down is purely an accounting move... they still "made" $5.8bn profit, it doesn't just physically disappear, their balance sheet just doesn't show it due to the write-down.

Frikkenator

Expert Member
That's $6 - $5.8bn = 200 million LOSS. Therefore, stumbling.

It actually comes to a $366m loss. And recording a $366m loss after writing off $6bn, is not stumbling, they had to do it sooner or later.