Microsoft is gradually killing off the Windows Control Panel – Report

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Microsoft is gradually killing off the Windows Control Panel – Report

Microsoft is making progress with an apparent plan to discontinue its Control Panel service in Windows 10, according to a report from Softpedia News.

Control Panel has been a part of the Windows OS since 1985 and offers a set of applets for viewing and adjusting various settings, including adding or removing hardware and software, configuring display preferences, managing user accounts, and changing network settings.

Microsoft’s alternative Settings app – which was introduced in Windows 8 and also included in Windows 10 – offers a modernised UI and optimised functionality for touch input.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The only thing I still use CP for is manage audio devices, since I can see all the mic's and speakers output to know which one is actually active.

They've been slowly migrating things over and it's been getting better. Up until 2/3 years ago the new settings panel was mostly useless, they've been very good at incrementally updating settings to become useful.

This implied that Microsoft wants to make sure that all Control Panel settings are available in the Settings app. Once this is done, there would be little reason for duplication of features in two apps.
It will be another few years till they finish probably, and they've stated they'll be doing the above long ago, don't see why this article should exist.

genetic

Honorary Master
I disagree. The new settings options don't give in depth changes, like control panel does.

Yes it does. You can change the same adapter property settings on a hardware or driver setting as the Device Manager allows.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I far prefer Control Panel, the Settings app is limited. That said, I'm from the 95 era so it's what I know and prefer.
Only reason I like Settings:
1595491225446.png
1595491242678.png

I use windows search though, so usually doesn't matter.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
I just click start and type whatever I want to change. Windows search pulls up my options and away we go.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Yes it does. You can change the same adapter property settings on a hardware or driver setting as the Device Manager allows.
I'm not just talking about hardware.
There's so many useful options in control panel that is not within the settings options.
Example is Programs and Features. It's specific to control panel.
The app/program manager in settings is sht.

I just can't work with settings. It's slow in comparison and the only options I use in it is Windows update.

Louis72

Expert Member
I'm not just talking about hardware.
There's so many useful options in control panel that is not within the settings options.
Example is Programs and Features. It's specific to control panel.
The app/program manager in settings is sht.

I just can't work with settings. It's slow in comparison and the only options I use in it is Windows update.
Basically everything old CP could do in a new UI would be awesome. But the new one just aint there yet.