Microsoft is gradually killing off the Windows Control Panel – Report

millennia

Ugh, Settings is so discombobulated. Leave the CP as it is. I find myself going there way more than attempting to find something in the abortion that is the Settings experience. Whoever's in charge of the UX needs their minds examined...

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Windows 10 was not built totally from the ground up, so no Control Panel was not re-written at all.

And yes you can.
I'm not at a PC right now. I've seen 'added' options in 10 control panel that isn't in older editions.

I'll have to double check.
I've read a few mentions online that is was completely built from scratch.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I'm not at a PC right now. I've seen 'added' options in 10 control panel that isn't in older editions.

I'll have to double check.
I've read a few mentions online that is was completely built from scratch.

Added options maybe, but it was not rewritten from the ground up.

There is a myriad of things that have been brought across from previous versions, and Control Panel would be one of them...

The fact that if you dig deep enough you can find Windows 2000 style dialog boxes in Win10 is evidence enough of the above statement

murray654

I prefer Control Panel. I doubt that anyone in Microsoft cares. They seem to be moving win 10 into a dumbed down windows. Windows 8 was the start of this. Win 10 seems more and more like a touch screen operating system every time they release an update. More and more is just disappearing into thin air. Big square buttons everywhere to make it easier for touch screen users.

I hardly use any "Apps" and only open Microsoft Store to disable automatic updates of apps...

My other gripe is the Start menu. I recently disabled Open-Shell Menu to try get used to the Win 10 Start menu, and its ugly metro style buttons... Terrible experience... yet still not bad enough to make the change to linux.

system32

Expert Member
I understand MS wants to 'improve' and make things more shiny. But if the old CP doesnt hurt anyone then why take it out completely?

Keep the modern 'on crack' UI and leave the old CP for the rest of us. Why remove it as if to punish those who still use it.

Its like removing the taskbar because it offended the desktop icons.
The main issue with CP is that it's not table/phone "touch" friendly.
CP works well with a mouse.
In the process of migration MS is "simplifying" Settings aka "removing a lot of power user functionality."
MS are drumming down windows for dumb users (non power users) - seems we have a lot of those dumb users on MyBB.

Reactions: Swa

markings

Expert Member
I have my doubts, I get the feeling they are 'dumbing' it down to phone/tablet levels.
One of the most annoying thing with Settings is the wasted screen estate. Everything is so big and set far apart. I don't want to scroll endlessly only to find that the control I want to change is on some other screen.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Watch them place the tracking and ad settings in some obscure place that needs arcane knowledge and summoning ceremonies to change.

genetic

Honorary Master
If it isn't broken. Don't fix it.
I could give a rats ass if it does the same thing. I don't want to use it as I do the control panel. Settings is crap slow. On most PCs I've been on.
Try a Teamviewer session and see what I mean. It is horrendous.

Crap slow? On a 486 maybe.

You're changing your story now;
There's so many useful options in control panel that is not within the settings options.
Example is Programs and Features. It's specific to control panel.

Again, I prefer Control Panel - but I can do exactly the same things in Settings. There is nothing wrong with Settings. People don't like change, that's all.

Radorn

All I know is I usually start at Settings and eventually end up at Control Panel.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Crap slow? On a 486 maybe.

You're changing your story now;

Again, I prefer Control Panel - but I can do exactly the same things in Settings. There is nothing wrong with Settings. People don't like change, that's all.

Well, there is a small delay for some reason on most devices for Privacy in Settings to display.

And seeing 41 items listed in Programs and Features vs 9 (without scrolling) or 16 (with scrolling) in Settings is wrong in my opinion. Less is not more.

ToxicBunny

The main issue with CP is that it's not table/phone "touch" friendly.
CP works well with a mouse.
In the process of migration MS is "simplifying" Settings aka "removing a lot of power user functionality."
MS are drumming down windows for dumb users (non power users) - seems we have a lot of those dumb users on MyBB.

Actually no... The main issue with CP would be that it has tendrils of WIN16 and WIN32 in it.. and for Core OS functionality, that needs to be upgraded to the newer stacks (UWP and such)

system32

Expert Member
Actually no... The main issue with CP would be that it has tendrils of WIN16 and WIN32 in it.. and for Core OS functionality, that needs to be upgraded to the newer stacks (UWP and such)
I used a Win8 tablet for a day, and CP was a nightmare with a fat fingers.
UWP/Metro-style Apps does not mean MS have to reduce functionality - this is my issue with "New Settings".

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Microsoft is gradually killing off the Windows Control Panel – Report

Microsoft is making progress with an apparent plan to discontinue its Control Panel service in Windows 10, according to a report from Softpedia News.

Control Panel has been a part of the Windows OS since 1985 and offers a set of applets for viewing and adjusting various settings, including adding or removing hardware and software, configuring display preferences, managing user accounts, and changing network settings.

Microsoft’s alternative Settings app – which was introduced in Windows 8 and also included in Windows 10 – offers a modernised UI and optimised functionality for touch input.
I disagree. The new settings options don't give in depth changes, like control panel does.

I think it's a bad move.
What he said ^

ToxicBunny

I used a Win8 tablet for a day, and CP was a nightmare with a fat fingers.
UWP/Metro-style Apps does not mean MS have to reduce functionality - this is my issue with "New Settings".

I agree UWP/Metro-Style does not mean MS have to reduce functionality etc, and I have a similar UI issue with Settings as well...

BUT the funamental reason for moving from CP to Settings is the underlying architecture not the UI... The UI is largely a mistake in its simplicity, I would like more granular control of things if I so choose.

chromedome

Expert Member
But surely the programs like device manager,etc will still be there just hidden away.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
IT guy by proffession. Modern UI is horrible.

It introduces a powerful search because its a mess to find it anything.

Literally every setting takes extra clicks to get to and set. That is just bad design.

Certain search results can't be clicked. Certain toggles does nothing. Certain links are useless. Good luck with your mic if their settings doesnt work, you need to dig in Control Panel again. You cant add apps to privacy allowance. And lets not talk about settings missing or moved between version builds. Heck it even it even pulls up the control panel for certain functions.

No, that settings menu is a "we want to be hip like the cool kids" cry for help. If they spent the same time on modernising the control panel it would be countless times better.

My 2c.
I'll do you one better.

Half of the registry keys and Group Policy settings are deprecated and do nothing.

Nothing!

Swa

Honorary Master
I hate apps which is probably why I hate Win10 so much apart from the bugs.

Feels like yesterday.

Saw someone using Windows 7 today..

I first thought it was XP. Forgot how ugly and outdated W7 is.
Ugly se moer. The new UI is completely flat, uninteresting and hard to use.

The problem is that "Settings" has much less functionality than "Control Panel"
Examples:
  • Try changing power setting for what happens when you close the lid on your laptop using "New Settings"
  • Try changing the Regional digit grouping symbol in "New Settings"
  • Try changing the color of the menu bar in "New Settings"
  • Many more examples
You can't.

MS are trying to change Windows from a desktop OS a tablet/phone OS and leaving all power users behind.
That is exactly my point. MS has forgotten where their user base is and are trying to please tab users with a single version. It doesn't work.