Microsoft is rolling out a feature to replace passwords with more secure sign-in methods

jammio

We are getting closer and closer to fingers being cut off being normal

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I'm definitely in favour of this move tbh...

Passwords are just not good enough anymore. Yes the new methods bring different risks to the table, but overall they will provide a more secure experience for people.

markings

Expert Member
SMS messaging? If one is overseas and loses the phone one is stuffed. How could I replace an SA SIM card?

Craig_

Honorary Master
Wonderful, I'm sure they'll find a way to fxk this up as well.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I'm definitely in favour of this move tbh...

Passwords are just not good enough anymore. Yes the new methods bring different risks to the table, but overall they will provide a more secure experience for people.
Agree. This is the way forward.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Lol https://myki.com/ has been doing it since yonks. Problem is when you don't have your phone on you you're outta luck. No thanks.

MyKi looks to be a password manager, and what MS are doing is not a password manager, but deprecating passwords... different thing altogether.

Password Managers and 2FA managers are not new, and MS are not claiming that they're inventing something here, just doing something to make accounts more secure.

deesef

Expert Member
It's easier to type in a password than to get out the phone, unlock it, open the authenticator, etc.

Anyway, it seems that only the Microsoft authenticator will work. I use Authy and it is just too much effort to transfer all my 2fa accounts over to ms...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
MyKi looks to be a password manager, and what MS are doing is not a password manager, but deprecating passwords... different thing altogether.

Password Managers and 2FA managers are not new, and MS are not claiming that they're inventing something here, just doing something to make accounts more secure.
Not at all your Myki account doesn't have a password instead relying on pin and fingerprint.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Does it involve anything remotely related to vaccination ... or not?
Please show your vaccine QR code to sign in.
Failure to do so will result in full system erasure.
Have a nice day.

1024px-HAL9000.svg.png

Arthur

Honorary Master
One can of course understand what's driving this, and I suppose it's the future. For a while now all my Msft logins are 2FA in combination with the Msft Authenticator.

But I'm resolved to liberate myself from woke BigTech, and will in due course exit their ecosystems. That means a non-Google/Apple portable device, and probably no Msft as well.

Little Mac

Honorary Master

More secure than passwords alone. Less secure than 2fa? Disclaimer: I haven't read the fine print yet.