Microsoft is shutting down its Mixer video game streaming service

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
Microsoft is shutting down its Mixer video game streaming service

Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox unit will shut down its Mixer video-game streaming service after failing to attract a large global user base and will recommend players and audiences shift to Facebook Inc.’s streaming site.

The software maker also plans to partner with Facebook on Microsoft's xCloud mobile game service, which will be widely available by the end of the summer. Starting July 22, users who visit Mixer will be redirected to Facebook Gaming.

The surprise move comes less than a year after Microsoft lured popular streamer Ninja — whose real name is Tyler Blevins — from Amazon.com’s Inc.’s Twitch, the leading game-streaming service. The deal was touted as setting off a battle for top gaming talent in the $152 billion video-game industry.

[Bloomberg]

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I wonder how many partner plans will be matched?

I am sure many will now return to Twitch.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There was a bit of a drive with a few big streams moving from twitch - some guys got paid big bucks to move and promote,clearly it didn't make a dent
It will be incredibly hard to topple the Twitch monopoly, and Twitch has a big botting problem and still, they are on top. Facebook Gaming I think may be a good alternative, but I don't like to be locked into a one shop social account though all these things are social mediums.

What Twitch does well is incentivising its model, thanks to Amazon.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see there are many Mixer partners which are now complaining. Nobody likes this move. I don't understand how people can build their entire livelihoods on gaming, ASMR or whatever. From what I am interpreting is that migration process to Facebook Gaming isn't as seamless, it seems there are monetisation issues (duh) and not everyone is treated equally with their partner plans (or statuses).

People are leaving and going to Twitch.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see Twitch is now giving partner status to Mixer partner migrants.