Microsoft kicks off the rollout of the Windows 10 May Update 1903

rambo919

Expert Member
What is the difference between the "torrent" version of creating an ISO, and the one created following the MS process to create a "clean" ISO?
Both take as long as it takes based on the download capacity you have. both need to be installed ?
Two things are included that M$ does not, extra updates and pre-installed things like dotnet 3.5 (which I still don't understand why it needs to be downloaded after) and all major updates up to the month of compellation. Less work/time and without needing internet.

Also these are ISO's that contain more than one version of Windows which means you can use a single ISO to update/install many PC's in a variety of versions without needing internet (in this case both home and pro) instead of having to re-download the damn thing for each one separately. We don't all have fibre you know.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
And besides the dotnet 3.5, ALL that you have mentioned is already available in the MS ISO, PROVIDED YOU select the correct ISO option. The latest ISO includes ALL updates to date and both versions of WIN 10 Pro and Home, and 32 and 64 bit.
And you can use the same ISO to install on may PCs. There is no reason to go to a 3rd party source for OS updates/upgrades.

MirageF1

Expert Member
And besides the dotnet 3.5, ALL that you have mentioned is already available in the MS ISO, PROVIDED YOU select the correct ISO option. The latest ISO includes ALL updates to date and both versions of WIN 10 Pro and Home, and 32 and 64 bit.
And you can use the same ISO to install on may PCs. There is no reason to go to a 3rd party source for OS updates/upgrades.
Unless ...you like living on the edge and are a masochist by nature.

rambo919

Expert Member
So the same ISO from M$ contains both home and pro? Must have changed at some point because last time I tried (years ago) it was a separate ISO for each....

Also torrents are better downloads on slower lines, less likely to corrupt than direct downloads from M$ servers..... yes that's happened.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
So the same ISO from M$ contains both home and pro? Must have changed at some point because last time I tried (years ago) it was a separate ISO for each....

Also torrents are better downloads on slower lines, less likely to corrupt than direct downloads from M$ servers..... yes that's happened.
It's been same ISO since W7, except windows 7 you had to remove a line on the boot config, windows 8 onward I think has always had select at boot.

This might help you in regards to adding dotnet to the ISO yourself.
https://www.dragonblogger.com/install-net-framework-3-5-windows-10-offline/

rambo919

Expert Member
hmmmm ok and it's both OEM and Standard? or is it just VL that needs a seperate ISO? It's a pain but I usually have to update all sorts of machines.

rambo919

Expert Member

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Does not completely answer my question, OEM and ESD requires separate install options otherwise the keys/licenses wont take. I know because I once installed using the wrong one and had to re-install.
OEM is usually W10 home, when you install it should prompt/auto activate/choose the correct version since key is embedded in mobo.
Not sure ESD.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

I use this for my Windows download, 100% clean and unactivated.

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

Gardagar

I already installed it ony my PC, though even I installed needed update via Window Update for that main big thing it still haven't discovered itself later, so I did update from official Microsoft website and that's really it if you ask me. Try my scheme if you need to.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I just used the update utility. Surely that's much easier.

Even with my corrupted update facility thinking that 1803 was up to date, the update utility made quick work of installing 1903.

Apogee

I just used the update utility. Surely that's much easier.

Even with my corrupted update facility thinking that 1803 was up to date, the update utility made quick work of installing 1903.
That thing is always dog slow for me.

These direct links download at full speed with a download manager.

Ryan Innes

Quick question, how long did the install process take?

Reason I'm asking is the update downloaded overnight and I hit reboot and update this morning about two hours ago and it's still installing ‍♂♂♂

Rookie move I know.

LinuxMan

Expert Member
Since when is there a free upgrade to Windows 10? I thought that ship sailed years ago?
I can confirm the Windows 10 Upgrade is still free, provided you have a valid Windows 7/8 Licence.
You can even Install Windows 10 straight from the USB (Clean Install) and activate with a Windows 7/8 Licence key.

millennia

I can confirm the Windows 10 Upgrade is still free, provided you have a valid Windows 7/8 Licence.
You can even Install Windows 10 straight from the USB (Clean Install) and activate with a Windows 7/8 Licence key.
There's a difference between the upgrade still being possible and it still being free.

The only thing MS have said is that it would be a free upgrade until July last year. They haven't said anything about afterwards. it's more than possible that they could turn around, say that your Windows 10 license was issued after that date and then request you to pay for it.

In fact, this thread has a guy that failed his SAM audit for machines that were upgraded after the expiry date...

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2189715-free-update-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-still-legal

LinuxMan

Expert Member
There's a difference between the upgrade still being possible and it still being free.

The only thing MS have said is that it would be a free upgrade until July last year. They haven't said anything about afterwards. it's more than possible that they could turn around, say that your Windows 10 license was issued after that date and then request you to pay for it.

In fact, this thread has a guy that failed his SAM audit for machines that were upgraded after the expiry date...

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2189715-free-update-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-still-legal
Your post makes no sense, the windows 10 upgrade is still free and activates perfectly from a previous version of Windows 7/8. If it was "illegal" Microsoft wouldn't activate the licence when you do the upgrade..