Microsoft Linux Lab

tibby.dude

Executive Member
I dunno how much of you know about Channel 9 (their informal developer relations site) but two interesting videos (160MB in total) was recently posted about their Linux Open Source Technology Group.

They do employ a team of open source unix hackers that helps various Microsoft product teams with research and analysis about open source.

They also showed their lab inside the Microsoft campus running about 40 different Linux distros all administered by a Windows Server Manager.

mbs

Expert Member
If there is one thing that must be clearly understood, it's that M$ have no real interest in the promotion of open source - it is considered a threat to their license revenues, and their own long-term business sustainability. (This was confirmed a while ago by an email sent out by Steve Balmer, if I recall correctly.) Their only interest lies in developing an understanding of the technology being utilised in open source products - it follows that equivalent or enhanced functionality may be reverse-engineered/stolen/developed/purchased by whomever...

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Charles Torre sits down with Martin Taylor and Bill Hilf and chats about Linux, Windows and Microsoft.

Martin Taylor is Microsoft's General Manager of Competitive Strategy. He's the guy that's been known to wear bullet proof vests at Linux conferences and reaches out to the Linux/OSS community by throwing himself into the SlashDot fire. Remember that phone interview?

Bill Hilf is a Linux developer and Microsoft Technical Director of Platform Strategy. He runs a really nifty lab where his team of Linux hackers explore the world of distros and compare Windows technologies with Linux technologies. You'll see the lab in the second part of the interview.

Also, Charles didn't forget about your questions. Niners get some well-deserved love in Part II

Enjoy.

Running Time: 27:26

Download Size: 88 MB
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/e/4/5e4cebff-8cb7-44f7-86c7-fd09bdeb39fc/taylor_hilf_linux_part1_MBR.wmv

Here's the second part of the conversation with Martin Taylor and Bill Hilf on Linux, Windows and Microsoft. Here we get some of the Niners' questions answered and go on a tour of Bill's lab.

Enjoy.

Running Time: 27:16

Download Size: 88 MB
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/e/4/5e4cebff-8cb7-44f7-86c7-fd09bdeb39fc/taylor_hilf_linux_part2_MBR.wmv

tibby.dude

Executive Member
The Channel 9 site is at

http://channel9.msdn.com

They also recently did a set of interviews with a chap of the Windows Kernel team and he explained some of the differences between Windows NT and Linux kernel and how NT fits together.

Real informative if that is your poison ... nice to get some good solid info than the usual lame "Windows is crap ... Microsoft is evil" mantra you read from some clueless folks on some I.T forums.

mbs

Expert Member
tibby.dude said:
... nice to get some good solid info than the usual lame "Windows is crap ... Microsoft is evil" mantra you read from some clueless folks on some I.T forums.
If you're implying that my posting falls into this definition, you clearly miss the point of my post. Equally, there are those who will blindly follow the M$ mantra, too...

tibby.dude

Executive Member
mbs said:
If you're implying that my posting falls into this definition, you clearly miss the point of my post. Equally, there are those who will blindly follow the M$ mantra, too...
Not you ... just a general observation esp in light of my recent disagreement with slimothy.

Yes you are very right in your point above ... they are not doing this for the love of open source but some of their customers run Windows and Linux environments and demands more interoperability between the two environments.

Btw Microsoft have used open source before i.e in Windows 95 and NT 3.1 , the TCP/IP stack and utilities (ftp,telnet,rsh) was based on code from BSD Unix ... remember the BSD licence allows that as long as copyright is acknowledged from the original author.

So far nobody has found any GPL'd code in Windows ... if they did then according to the GPL license they need to open all of Windows.

kilps

Expert Member
That would be funny - "M$ Software Giant forced to reviel most garded source code" :D

bb_matt

Executive Member
Well, aside from the fact that M$ is evil, MacOSx is cr@p and Linux on the Desktop is useless, I would think it obvious that M$ has a Linux lab - I'm sure they have people working on Mac too.

I mean, after all, if you can't innovate ? - Copy ! :D

Joking folks !

When you think about it, Gnome and KDE have been copying ideas from Windows and MacOSx because it's the sensible thing to do if you want Linux to be a viable desktop option - people are comfortable with familiarity, so it makes no sense to go off at a tangent to everyone else.

MacOSx has benefitted massively from OS, in particular FreeBSD and Linux.
I'm quite sure that M$ have too - no dought they'll magpie what they like.

That's the nature of development - copy/influence/modify/create