Microsoft Office 365 Person lauches in SA

Skerminkel

Expert Member
In the US, the Home license costs $99.99 per year, or $9.99 per month, while in South Africa it is available for R749.99 per year or R74.99 per month.

R7,50/$ is a good exchange rate!

Does anyone have experience with this and is it R75/month better than Google Docs?

Ivanr

Expert Member
R7,50/$ is a good exchange rat
Does anyone have experience with this and is it R75/month better than Google Docs?
Wonderful and much better than Google. The Ms Office Online within Outlook.com beats Google anytime.

qwertydudeza

Well MS actually price the product by region and we are seeing a lesser $ value
Much better than Google Docs and no adverts all over the place

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Well MS actually price the product by region and we are seeing a lesser $ value
Much better than Google Docs and no adverts all over the place

Well you can also pay for google docs without ads.

diabolus

Executive Member

You must remember for that same subscription you get access to the full OFFLINE office package too (like the normal Office Packages). Plus you get like 25GB (can be more) of OneDrive space and things like that. Dropbox alone is more expensive than that..

So yea, it's not a bad deal, and if you're like me where you constantly have to deal with corporate documents (which you have no control over) then Google Docs usually don't fly very far.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Ive used it. Honestly its not bad, but I just kinda used it to open the odd docx document that google docs doesnt format correctly. For my "base of operations" online I need a free service so if I forget a payment or am away or something, I always have access to my data. If Outlook+Office365 was a free service like Google Docs I would take it more seriously.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
So yea, it's not a bad deal, and if you're like me where you constantly have to deal with corporate documents (which you have no control over) then Google Docs usually don't fly very far.

This is still OneDrive and not OneDrive pro which means if I was writing your IT policy this would be banned (along with dropbox, google drive, Mega etc). From an admin POV there is no control over what you do and who you share that data with: https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

Lets also not forget that this is a consumer o365 product which means home use only, roll this out in a company and they will be mislicensed. To achieve the same results in a working environment you are looking at about R143 per user (for up to 25 users) and R171 per user (up to 300 users):

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ZA/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx?tab=1

or R228 per user for the E3 package:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ZA/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx?tab=1

The above obviously includes 50GB of Exchange per head but that's more or less what you would pay if you got the Office Apps and OneDrive Pro storage through Office 365 for business.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Ive used it. Honestly its not bad, but I just kinda used it to open the odd docx document that google docs doesnt format correctly. For my "base of operations" online I need a free service so if I forget a payment or am away or something, I always have access to my data. If Outlook+Office365 was a free service like Google Docs I would take it more seriously.

You can essentially get it free if you go the Hotmail with custom domain route. That will give you access to Exchange-like email, Office Web Apps and (I'm might be wrong) 7GB of OneDrive storage.

The desktops Apps however will never be free...

diabolus

Executive Member
This is still OneDrive and not OneDrive pro which means if I was writing your IT policy this would be banned (along with dropbox, google drive, Mega etc). From an admin POV there is no control over what you do and who you share that data with: https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

Lets also not forget that this is a consumer o365 product which means home use only, roll this out in a company and they will be mislicensed. To achieve the same results in a working environment you are looking at about R143 per user (for up to 25 users) and R171 per user (up to 300 users):

or R228 per user for the E3 package:

The above obviously includes 50GB of Exchange per head but that's more or less what you would pay if you got the Office Apps and OneDrive Pro storage through Office 365 for business.

Yea, but this is for personal use, so the corporate microsoft licensing is a different story. What i mean by corporate documents is, you have personal work you do, people in corporate environments sends you documents made on their corporate microsoft products (especially fancy macro-riddled Excel sheets) and you have no choice to retain their formatting or risk breaking things for them in their corporate environment. So you can't just whip up Google Docs here and convert the doc and send it back to them, knowing they are going to open it in their corporate version of Office.

At my own work, i , like everyone else most likely, have a work PC with a work version of Office. So it's a non-issue at work. It is however a problem when you have you own personal laptop and either do extra work (unrelated to your day job) or even want to open the odd work document while nowhere near work...

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Does this come with a desktop version.

Yes, you may install it on one PC/Mac and One iPad (or whatever other tablets get decent Apps).

This is also where a lot of confusion comes in as:

(The below refers to Office 2013 desktop licensing)
Office 365 Personal: 1 person with 1 PC/Mac and 1 tablet.
Office 365 Home: 5 computers (regardless of how many users in your family so long as you are using it for personal use).
Office 365 for Business: 1 person with 5 computers/tablets or even Office on a terminal server.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Yea, but this is for personal use, so the corporate microsoft licensing is a different story. What i mean by corporate documents is, you have personal work you do, people in corporate environments sends you documents made on their corporate microsoft products (especially fancy macro-riddled Excel sheets) and you have no choice to retain their formatting or risk breaking things for them in their corporate environment. So you can't just whip up Google Docs here and convert the doc and send it back to them, knowing they are going to open it in their corporate version of Office.

At my own work, i , like everyone else most likely, have a work PC with a work version of Office. So it's a non-issue at work. It is however a problem when you have you own personal laptop and either do extra work (unrelated to your day job) or even want to open the odd work document while nowhere near work...

ah my apologies :) I though you were using it for business.
This is a very nice in for Joe Public to get access to Office 2013 desktop version.

For his cheap brother however there is Outlook.com (aka Hotmail and Live) which give you access to the Web Apps (like google apps) so you can technically forward the mail there and edit it using those Apps also.
Excel Outlook.jpg

The above wouldn't cost you a cent if it is for personal use :)

Johand

Expert Member
I'm a Offic 365 subscriber and it is quite awesome. You get the full Office. Period. I actually like Outlook. And Excel is definitely the spreadsheet to beat. And this is cheap ( i.e. Like 1.5x Battlefield 4 per year...)

CeeBee

Expert Member
if u just need to open to view MS Office docs, u could get the free 'viewer' only download, just to be able to view MS Office files correctly
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=viewer

Johand

Expert Member
I think even casual users can benefit from having the full MS Office available:

casual use of access.jpg

In all seriousness. MS Office is like the internet. You can definitely survive without it (because a lot of people do), but once you have it you will wonder HOW you survived it.

I recently did some analysis about a property I want to buy - and Excel made my job really easy. And yes - a lot of people don't do this (even if they should)... but in the bigger scheme of things R750/year is nothing. Sure you could probably do it in OpenOffice... but Excel was much easier and faster.

buying a house.jpg