Microsoft Office 365 subscription additions plunge 62%

LCBXX

Honorary Master
It is R800-odd/pa for the 365 Home version (2016) whereas you can buy Office 2016 Home for R1500. Why not fork out the R1500?

Last edited:
It is R800-odd/pa for the 365 Home version (2016) whereas you can buy Office 2016 Home for R1500. Why not fork out the R1500?
Then you will have to pay that again the next year and the next to keep up with the latest releases.

R900 per year for 5 users for something that you get value from every day is acceptable.

The 60 minutes free Skype calls per month and 1TB OneDrive space doesn't hurt either.

The standalone version that you are quoting does not include Outlook by the way.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Then you will have to pay that again the next year and the next to keep up with the latest releases.

R900 per year for 5 users for something that you get value from every day is acceptable.

The 60 minutes free Skype calls and 1TB OneDrive space doesn't hurt either.

The standalone version that you are quoting does not include Outlook by the way.
+1

The Family version is a fantastic deal. We (wife and I) have a family sub each, so ten users.

LCBXX

Honorary Master

The 60 minutes free Skype calls and 1TB OneDrive space doesn't hurt either.

Most people using Office in a personal or SMME capacity are still content with Office 2010, bar the lack of Security updates - others use OpenOffice, Google Docs or even O365 Online. This could speak to MS not actively punting the benefits of the O365 sub - effectively using OneDrive to backup you documents is a big caveat for most users.

Most people using Office in a personal or SMME capacity are still content with Office 2010, bar the lack of Security updates - others use OpenOffice, Google Docs or even O365 Online. This could speak to MS not actively punting the benefits of the O365 sub - effectively using OneDrive to backup you documents is a big caveat for most users.
Our experience differ then.

About 80% of my SMME client base have move on to Office 365, and the ones with a fibre connection are very happy using OneDrive.

I do concede though that OneDrive is only a viable backup option when you have a fibre link, so it will take some time before it becomes mainstream in SA.

Last edited:

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I tried to register the service for someone and it's a real headache. I had to get an overseas call centre involved in the end and battled to get them on the same page with what the issue was. The call centre person took control of my laptop (to fix the issue) and promptly filled in his own feedback page from me, deleting my concerns and changing his rating to a top score before quickly closing the page.

BBotha

There is no need for buying office at home anymore, with free option coming from MS, Google, Oracle & others.

Genisys

Executive Member
Office 365 is about more than the plain old Word ect suite. Let's just say there is a lot more to it than what meets the eye.