• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Microsoft reportedly building self-checkout shopping tech

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Ah Microsoft... reinventing the wheel... yet again.
Such systems already exist and are in use, albeit with limited roll-out

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ah Microsoft... reinventing the wheel... yet again.
Such systems already exist and are in use, albeit with limited roll-out
Other than the Amazon Go site, where are they in use?

Even before Amazon did it, the tech existed they just adapted it for a specific usecase

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
I'm sure Reebok, Nike, Hi-Tech etc. has that 'functionality' already.:whistling:
Probably.
There has been an attempt in the past to do all of this and more. In 2005 I was involved in one such attempt at the hardware level. Proof of concept back then really.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for tech and its progress... I just find it laughable that Microsoft thinks it can enter this space and reinvent the wheel. I guess their move to opensource means the tsunami of green dollars has now been reduced to a wave in a bathtub

whatwhat

Executive Member
Probably.
There has been an attempt in the past to do all of this and more. In 2005 I was involved in one such attempt at the hardware level. Proof of concept back then really.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for tech and its progress... I just find it laughable that Microsoft thinks it can enter this space and reinvent the wheel. I guess their move to opensource means the tsunami of green dollars has now been reduced to a wave in a bathtub
Cool story.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Probably.

Actually, they are 'building' an alternative. In a world where intellectual property and non-disclosures drive technology, any abled competitive technology is welcomed in my perspective.

It is not about doing this and more, it is about choice and execution, and sometimes less is more.