Microsoft SA touts a re-imagined Windows and great new devices

nelwa

Expert Member
“We’re going to see cloud starting to become a little more mainstream enabling some interesting integration across devices and media. Applications will be the order of the day, both on devices and in the cloud.”

Botha predicts that we are going to see cloud starting to become a little more mainstream this year, enabling some interesting integration across devices and media. “Applications will be the order of the day, both on devices and in the cloud,” says Botha.

Proofread much? Almost thought I experienced a glitch in the Matrix...

MFour

Expert Member
I wonder how much all this innovation will be costing the consumers. From my experience M$ has never been very wallet friendly, which I would guess will be the same with apps for the Lumia. All good and well to have bells and whistles, but means little if only a few can afford it.

recre8

@MFour: We use the MS Action Pack at work. 10 licenses of Office, Windows 7, 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 license etc. Costs about R4000 a year. Sure is super wallet friendly if you consider that option. But what I wanted to ask: Why are you spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign?

MFour

Expert Member
@MFour: We use the MS Action Pack at work. 10 licenses of Office, Windows 7, 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 license etc. Costs about R4000 a year. Sure is super wallet friendly if you consider that option. But what I wanted to ask: Why are you spelling Microsoft with a dollar sign?

Well see yes. I guess R4k / year is not the biggest amount of money, but that also means you never own the product. Personally I would much rather pay an affordable once off fee and own the software. Not too many years ago the "renting" of software was not a mainstream item, these days it seems the only way to afford the latest and greatest bits of software on a big scale. That said, not everyone has the same needs, so to each his/her own.

As for the M$...well easiest way to say it: Microsoft = pay more money (dollars). Search the forum, you will find many many references to M$.

LPCPT

affordable

Well see yes. I guess R4k / year is not the biggest amount of money, but that also means you never own the product. Personally I would much rather pay an affordable once off fee and own the software. Not too many years ago the "renting" of software was not a mainstream item, these days it seems the only way to afford the latest and greatest bits of software on a big scale. That said, not everyone has the same needs, so to each his/her own.

As for the M$...well easiest way to say it: Microsoft = pay more money (dollars). Search the forum, you will find many many references to M$.
Just remember R4k as a business expense can be tax deductible in one go, whereas you buy it as an asset it needs to be written of over a period. I apologize if I am wrong, but that's just how my previous employer sold our software and the customers was very happy with the payment arrangements cos they could do the tax write-off.

4K less 28% tax = 2.88K Now that looks pretty neat.

MFour

Expert Member
Just remember R4k as a business expense can be tax deductible in one go, whereas you buy it as an asset it needs to be written of over a period. I apologize if I am wrong, but that's just how my previous employer sold our software and the customers was very happy with the payment arrangements cos they could do the tax write-off.

4K less 28% tax = 2.88K Now that looks pretty neat.

Fair enough (not sure what the 28% refers to), but also remember that with the purchase of an asset there is also a VAT advantage to consider. I see why the immediate rental expense compared to the immediate purchase expense looks very attractive, but it is definitely not necessarily a good option for every company. Especially if one looks at a small firm from a "in 10 years time" perspective. Definitively not a one size fits all type of thing.

Totempole

Expert Member
If "Micro-$haft" kills the classic menu system, they kill my reason to ever pay money
for a Windows OS again.

Sure, as a gamer, you'll eventually be forced to upgrade to the latest version of Windows,
but that doesn't mean you have to pay for it!

I paid for Windows 95
I paid for Windows 98SE
I paid for Windows XP Pro
I used a pirated Windows Vista Ultimate (Because it sucked! :mad:)
I paid for Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

... and I'll use pirated version of Windows 8 if it doesn't use the menu system.
If you're gonna take another approach, at least allow for a "Windows Classic Mode".

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
You could just get a Mac for gaming..

In South Africa, that going for a Mac means, an expensive PC that can't easily
be upgraded, games with inflated prices and a whole new interface for me to
learn. :( In SA, unless you absolutely need a Mac, or have money to throw
around, they're not a viable alternative to PC. Macs would have been far
more popular in SA if they didn't carry such a big price tag.

I grew up on DOS and Windows, and I hate change.

Crowley

Executive Member
For the price of a mac you could build a decent pc and pay for the next 3 versions of windows with the added guarantee that your games will work on it.

Mouse

Expert Member
In South Africa, that going for a Mac means, an expensive PC that can't easily
be upgraded, games with inflated prices and a whole new interface for me to
learn. :( In SA, unless you absolutely need a Mac, or have money to throw
around, they're not a viable alternative to PC. Macs would have been far
more popular in SA if they didn't carry such a big price tag.

I grew up on DOS and Windows, and I hate change.

All good points. I guess my perspective is different because I enjoy change sometimes.
And my PC gaming these days seems to be indie games and Blizzard games (that all have Mac versions)
The indie devs even support Linux :D

Right now I'm wondering whether to upgrade the graphics card in my PC or get a Mac Mini

Edit:

If "Micro-$haft" kills the classic menu system, they kill my reason to ever pay money
for a Windows OS again.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/02/discoverability-windows-8-and-the-disappearance-of-the-start-button.ars

Last edited:

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Do not pirate, rather install Linux, and use wine for windows based software. Else pay up and keep you mouth shut :)

Running Linux as my primary desktop since 2000 currently on Linux Mint, you will be surprised how easy it is to break the cycle.

Totempole

Expert Member
Do not pirate, rather install Linux, and use wine for windows based software. Else pay up and keep you mouth shut :)

Running Linux as my primary desktop since 2000 currently on Linux Mint, you will be surprised how easy it is to break the cycle.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't really game properly on Wine.

With most Windows Emulators, you can't take your full GPU with you, it's usually replaced with a Generic
Virtual GPU. Am I right or wrong? (Don't know much about Linux)

Elimentals

Honorary Master
If I'm not mistaken, you can't really game properly on Wine.

With most Windows Emulators, you can't take your full GPU with you, it's usually replaced with a Generic
Virtual GPU. Am I right or wrong? (Don't know much about Linux)

1st off, Wine is not an emulator it states so in the name ;)

2nd it depends on the games, there is a lot of DirectX to Open GL api's lately and some games perform better under OpenGL than DirectX esp seeing that most of the games are ports from Xbox titles that only support old DirectX 9 API's.

Sure games like Skyrim will suffer a drop both in quality and frame rate esp if you look at the DirectX 11 support but this is more the exception than the rule. Sometimes you have to tweak some settings but at the end of the day I prefer having the stability of my Linux platform and the best is I dont pay a cent to M$.

Example see Skyrim on Linux http://youtu.be/XOxJG9VCHSY

Totempole

Expert Member
1st off, Wine is not an emulator it states so in the name ;)

2nd it depends on the games, there is a lot of DirectX to Open GL api's lately and some games perform better under OpenGL than DirectX esp seeing that most of the games are ports from Xbox titles that only support old DirectX 9 API's.

Sure games like Skyrim will suffer a drop both in quality and frame rate esp if you look at the DirectX 11 support but this is more the exception than the rule. Sometimes you have to tweak some settings but at the end of the day I prefer having the stability of my Linux platform and the best is I dont pay a cent to M$.

Example see Skyrim on Linux http://youtu.be/XOxJG9VCHSY

Sounds like a bit of a headache. Still, it might be worthwhile experimenting with. ;)

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
You could just get a Mac for gaming..

If you live in the USA, then yes you can get one. Here in SA the price of a Mac can get you a super juiced up PC and a couple of games.

Microsoft Windows Phone is basically saying Symbian OS will be number 1 again...