Microsoft Surface launched in South Africa

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Its because it is the "starting at" price you see.

It is flippen expensive.
Given the machines even starting at prices are not necessarily horrible, but thst will depend on what the exact prices are per SKU...

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Its a direct competition to Apple so expect it to be a similar price.
I would say it comes down to build quality but then Im typing that on my rocking Macbook pro right now. Its less than a year old and the battery has swollen causing the whole bottom cover to bow. So now it rocks from side to side when I type on it.
Seems premium isnt always very premium.

BBC

What about service? Can I bring in my Surface Laptop 3 in if bought overseas?

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
What about service? Can I bring in my Surface Laptop 3 in if bought overseas?
The local distribution and sale is being handled by vodacom and incredible connection, so i doubt they will recognise the warranty if your receipt doesn't have their company logo on it.

Just so that any potential buyers are aware, there is a 'screen crack' issue with the Surface Laptops.

Good luck with getting it repaired for free by vodacom or incredible connection.

ebendl

Expert Member
I'm excited about this. Pity we just bought a Macbook Air for the wife ...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Its a direct competition to Apple so expect it to be a similar price.
I would say it comes down to build quality but then Im typing that on my rocking Macbook pro right now. Its less than a year old and the battery has swollen causing the whole bottom cover to bow. So now it rocks from side to side when I type on it.
Seems premium isnt always very premium.
Why haven’t you warranteed it yet?

skimread

Executive Member
Why no Surfacebook in SA?Are they just targetting students with their lightweight notebook and executives who want an excuse to get a top of the range tablet?

rustypup

Expert Member
Awesome news... Surface has been my go to for a while but the importing and lack of support made it problematic.. with local support... I'm in....

KaMoS

Expert Member
Bought the Surface Laptop 3 (i7, 16gb RAM, 512GB SSD) for my wife in March. Paid R19500 brand new.

I think these laptops are AMAZING! Yeah the bezel is thicker than other laptops but you get used to it very quickly and the actual screen makes up for it. The 3:2 aspect ratio is awesome for productivity. I've got the latest Dell XPS 13 for work and I personally prefer the Surface Laptop. Last but not least, the battery life on the surface laptop is better than anything I've used before, you can easily get a full day of work done without needing to charge (11.5 hours battery life).

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Its less than a year old and the battery has swollen causing the whole bottom cover to bow. So now it rocks from side to side when I type on it.
If I'm not mistaken, there was a battery recall for some 2015-2017 Macbooks? If you bought one from 2017, but brand new from when you received it in 2019, you might have a defective battery in your unit.

Also, get that battery replaced. Lithium battery fires are no joke and you're risking serious injury by using it.

Why no Surfacebook in SA?Are they just targetting students with their lightweight notebook and executives who want an excuse to get a top of the range tablet?
These are mostly replacing what Takealot was selling on their "Surface" storefront, so I imagine they just wanted to set things up with proper alternatives to the Macbook Air locally.

In comparison to what else is on the market, these models aren't worth the cost. R18k for a Core i3 Surface Pro 7? That's insane talk. You can spend R10,000 less than Surface Laptop 3 and still come away with a high-end machine clocking 10 hours of battery life and enough graphics power to do whatever you need.

Last edited:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Why haven’t you warranteed it yet?
Because it started just before lockdown and wasnt very pronounced at the time, its accelerating in its swelling now.
The other downside is that the nearest Apple store is in PE and Im in EL 300km away.
So now I need to drive to PE to get it warrantied, then probably be without my work laptop for a while. Next will be figuring out how to get it back to EL without driving to PE again.

All in all the Apple warranty is pretty inconvenient. If I had taken the Dell the company was offering they would have come to my house and just popped the SSD into a new machine and all would be well.
Heck Dell would even have done all of that within 24 hours of logging the ticket with them.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
If I'm not mistaken, there was a battery recall for some 2015-2017 Macbooks? If you bought one from 2017, but brand new from when you received it in 2019, you might have a defective battery in your unit.

Also, get that battery replaced. Lithium battery fires are no joke and you're risking serious injury by using it.
Yeah there was but mine is a 9 month old 2019 model and wasnt part of the recall.

In other news I dont trust the surface any more than the MBP. Most of our senior management have surfaces and most of them had to be warrantied because swelling batteries caused the back covers to literally pull their screws out.