Microsoft word

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
Hey all now that I have word finally working and I don't know how, I opened a document I am working on and up comes symbols. I really need this document and cant afford to start over. I get all these symbols instead of what I have typed. Please help. I am trying all I can to convert back but nothing seems to be working and yes I have used Google

newklear

Not sure what symbols you are encountering, but maybe it's pilcrow signs or paragraph signs and not the font that has changed.

To disable Pilcrow signs you can:
    • Click the top menu item ‘Review’
    • Look for ‘Show Markup’ and click
    • Look for ‘Formatting’ and uncheck
Else try clicking View or Home and clicking the pilcrow icon. If that is not it, select all the typed text and changing font else please supply a screenshot.

Safferbeauty

Expert Member
Its all come up as squares which is frustrating me now :( I am going to try what you said though and I will let you know. Thank you

newklear

Thanks but didn't work :(
Select all the text in the document with: Ctrl + A, then hold Ctrl in and press space bar. If that doesn't change back to the predefined font then: Ctrl + A, and select a different font such as Arial. If that is still not helping, please try paste a screenshot of what you see.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Next to the F12 key, to the right, you should have a "print screen" button.

Press it. It will take a screenshot and keep it in memory. Open Paint. Paste. Save as JPG.

NorthPole

Next to the F12 key, to the right, you should have a "print screen" button.

Press it. It will take a screenshot and keep it in memory. Open Paint. Paste. Save as JPG.
Also snipping tool or on windows 10, Windows key + Shift + s.

Save it as the above post said.

Basically looks like this and I am stressing as I need help. I cannot afford to lose this
That screenshot seems blank.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Little squares indicates that the font used is broken.

You could try "cntrl-a" then "cntrl-c" to select all and copy, then paste into Notepad or similar. You will lose formatting but not the actual text. Then restart Word and see if the doc is miraculously fixed.

Another way would be to upload the Word doc to Google drive (or similar) and open it in that document editing software, save and download again.

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
Similar happened to me once , managed to fix the doc but can't recall what I did.

This might help : https://wordribbon.tips.net/T011409_Letters_Turn_Into_Squares

The key is to understand what it means when characters turn into small squares—that Word is using a font for which character information is not available. If the document was readable one minute and then unreadable the next, it means that something changed in regards to the font in use.

One possibility is that the document was selected (Ctrl+A) and then the font changed to one that can't display the characters in use. The way around this problem is to again select the entire document and then hold down the Ctrl key as you press the Spacebar. This changes the font back to whatever font is defined for the underlying style assigned to the paragraphs.

Good luck !

3WA

Executive Member
Are you opening the file on the same computer as you typed it? Sometimes this happens if you switch computers, and one computer's Word installation doesn't have the same font pack installed.

Grouter

Expert Member
Ctrl + A to select all text, then change font from the drop-down menu.