Midnight - When is it exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedViking

Nord of the South
South Africa - National chaos recently erupted after a lockdown was announced from midnight on a Thursday because of a virus with flu like symptoms which threatens world wide populations.

However, a MASSIVE argument around when midnight is caused a HUGE division between those who know and those who think they know.

After a heated debate and a near separation of state and time, the South African government released an official statement to clarify what they meant by Thursday Midnight. It was in fact Thursday evening.

However, many are still in disagreement of this pure stupidity.

Obviously above is a an attempt at jesting, but seriously,

What is considered Midnight?

00:01 of a day or 23:59 of a day?

(time rounded to the minute)

This thread is to clear it up. (This thread has nothing to do with the actual event at midnight for SA lockdown )

This is how I personally understood it up to now:
I always spoke of midnight as the evening of that day.

Sunday Midnight I could not sleep. That would be Monday 00:01 in the morning or Sunday 23:59 the evening.

Last edited:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
OP is actually onto something. I have the same issue with IT changes that are planned for like Wed 00:00. Is that Tue night or Wed night?

Its far easier just saying Wed 00:01, or Wed night going into Thu morning.

Naks

Expert Member
Let say it is Midnight Thursday.
So when is midnight of that day. 00:00:00.00 Thursday or 23:59:59.99 Thursday
Midnight Thursday = 00:00:00.00 Thursday

it's better to use numerical time rather than the word 'midnight', to avoid any confusion.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Midnight Thursday = 00:00:00.00 Thursday

it's better to use numerical time rather than the word 'midnight', to avoid any confusion.
I agree. But I always spoke of midnight as the evening of that day.

Sunday Midnight I could not sleep. That would be Monday 00:01 in the morning or Sunday 23:59 the evening.

Basically during the course of late Sunday evening and early Monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.