Migrating from old MB to new unibody MB

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Since they've been so kind as to omit firewire from their latest MBs what's the best way to migrate from the old fw equipped MB to the new one?

Seeing as I'll have to walk my mother through the process telephonically ripping out the hdd isn't an option.

charlbronn

You can still use the Migration Assistant to transfer via ethernet or wifi. Will be faster via ethernet and as far as I know you can plug a patch cable directly between the 2 Macbooks and it will autosense etc.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
You can still use the Migration Assistant to transfer via ethernet or wifi. Will be faster via ethernet and as far as I know you can plug a patch cable directly between the 2 Macbooks and it will autosense etc.
Thanks - I've heard conflicting reports wrt the ethernet but I think I might have come up with another solution - Time Machine.

charlbronn

Yes, TimeMachine will work. Didn't realise you had an external drive available at your mom's. That's the fastest way then. Good thing is that migrations on Mac works well for most, not like some othe OS I better not mention ;-)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes, TimeMachine will work. Didn't realise you had an external drive available at your mom's. That's the fastest way then. Good thing is that migrations on Mac works well for most, not like some othe OS I better not mention ;-)
I managed to instil the importance of backups a while back and TM was the simplest method.

I've done loads of migrations but it's always been via Firewire - in other words dead easy.

Sputnik

don't worry you'll be fine, firewire is deprecated and not necessary anyways...:)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
don't worry you'll be fine, firewire is deprecated and not necessary anyways...:)
I still havent broken it to her that her Camcorder is now obsolete.

But like you say - FW is unnecessary :rolleyes:

StbA

Ethernet is the fastest way I think. You dont even need a cross-over ethernet cable.

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
If she's coming over next week I'd just tell her to be patient and let you handle it :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Or time machine - 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Ended up doing the migration myself - the new unibody mb was just sitting here untouched.

My mothers time machine drive had been acting up too so I ended up doing it via ethernet.

On the plus side I get to take the old MB home with me for the missus. :)

NameOfBeast

Ended up doing the migration myself - the new unibody mb was just sitting here untouched.

My mothers time machine drive had been acting up too so I ended up doing it via ethernet.

On the plus side I get to take the old MB home with me for the missus. :)
Currently in the US bwana?