Migration between provinces in South Africa

wrathex

Expert Member
Migration from the Eastern Cape to mostly Gauteng, Kwazulu Natal and the Western Cape continues.

If I look at the Eastern Cape, it seems as if the province has been left to die a natural death, how long do you think, before a crisis is declared in the Eastern Cape ?

Gauteng and the Western Cape take the brunt of migrants from the Eastern Cape.

I conclude that fighting poverty and providing services for this continious stream of migrants into richer provinces, means that townships in those provinces will never reach their potential because as soon as a shack becomes vacant it is re-occupied.

What is going on in the Eastern Cape?
Why are out-migration figures for the province so consistently high?
How many of these migrants find employment once they migrate ?

Have you driven through or visited the Eastern Cape recently ?
Last time I travelled through the Eastern Cape is seemed dilapidated and in a state of disrepair. (5 years ago)

wrathex

Expert Member
Just read this article, I can only shake my head at this dismal situation:

E Cape, Limpopo & KZN SA's poorest
2012-02-01 07:43
source: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/E-Cape-Limpopo-KZN-SAs-poorest-20120131

Johannesburg - Municipalities in the Eastern Cape, Limpopo, and KwaZulu-Natal are the country's poorest, according to the SA Institute of Race Relations (SAIRR).

"Municipalities in the Eastern Cape, Limpopo, and KwaZulu-Natal perform the worst in terms of poverty, with average poverty rates of 64%, 62%, and 61% respectively," the SAIRR said in its Fast Facts newsletter on Tuesday.

Western Cape municipalities fared better, with an average poverty rate of 32%, it said.

The poverty rate refers to the proportion of households in the municipality with a monthly income below R800 in 2007.

The figures were from the institutes annual report on the eight metropolitan and 44 district municipalities in South Africa.

Unemployment

Rates of unemployment were highest in KwaZulu-Natal, with an average jobless rates of 41%, followed by the Eastern Cape and Limpopo, each with an average jobless rates of 40%.

"Again, municipalities in the Western Cape do best in this area, with an average unemployment rate of 21%," the SAIRR said.

The Alfred Nzo district municipality in the Eastern Cape had the highest poverty rate, at 83%.

"However, contrary to what one might expect, only 34% of the 831 043 people living in Alfred Nzo are on social welfare."

Of the metropolitan municipalities, Ekurhuleni had the lowest poverty rate at 27%, followed by Tshwane at 28%. Both are in Gauteng.

Buffalo City, in the Eastern Cape, which was declared a metro after the municipal elections in May 2011, had a high poverty rate of 70%.

Johannesburg had a high poverty rate of 45%.

"This may be because many people leave their homes in poorer municipalities to seek work there, but lots of people in the city remain jobless and thus live in poverty," the SAIRR said.

jxharding

Expert Member
I have to agree, everyone is moving out of Eastern Cape.
I moved just over a year ago, there is just nothing happening there.
I live in a complex where over 100 cars are parked next to each other (yes its very small), but I can see the number plates all lined up every evening, and I can see the amount of EC number plates increase monthly as new tenants move in, and older tenants either upgrade to bigger houses or move somewhere else.

In EC, i reported a pothole, the pothole was there for at least 5 months after I reported it (until I left EC), in WC I did not need to report anything - the pothole started on Monday and it was fixed by the Wednesday.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The problem with this country (well on of them) is that everything is too centralised has far has government is concerned there are only two cities in south Africa CT and Jhb

Beachless

Executive Member
The poverty rate refers to the proportion of households in the municipality with a monthly income below R800 in 2007.
WOW, I would consider under R800 a day per household as poor .

These stats are useless if thats their cut off line, my maid earns R120 a day and she is defenately poor.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Next time some one complains that everyone is moving to CT, ill show them this table.

Freaksta

Expert Member
I guess everyone moves away for work, go to the bigger cities to try earn more money etc! I'm quite happy in the eastern cape, granted if i had to move there would only be one other option and that's cape town! All other destinations are out of the country otherwise!

wrathex

Expert Member
The migration of people from poorer to richer provinces is also a form of natural wealth distribution.

Thus the Western Cape and Gauteng provinces must find a means to finance this trend in the longer term.

Rapid urbanisation continues taking place, cities are swelling with desperate job seekers from the poorer provinces.

The government has been lax and it shows, President Zuma promised jobs - again, but apart from the natural expansion of a
inflated government, I have not heard of any great plans to create long term jobs.

There is lack of long term vision, causing a vacuum in planning for the rapid expansion of our wealthy cities and provinces and the increasing 'burden /or natural redistribution of wealth' the consistent influx of migrant job seekers who end up staying.

So is the landscape of thousands of shack townships, a permanent feature ?
Will we never eradicate poverty ?

Lots of new 'free' houses have been built too, yet the shanti towns continue expanding (if not increasing in density), a ramshackle society of desperate job seekers, living on the rim and outer edges of wealthy cities and provinces.

We need to plan better.
How can we expand our economy if we don't have power, Eskom ?
How can we create jobs without enough power to expand our economy ?

There are no visionaries in the ANC, where are we taking this country or are we just
drifting along without a navigator, without a destination, still blaming everything on
whites and apartheid ?

When do we move forward, and start better implementing our collective knowledge, skills and
experience to breaking out of our old habits and start clamping down on governmental ineptitude and
corruption and build this country into a Southern African power house.

The problems in South Africa are not insurmountable, but the longer we indulge quaks,
idiots, the corrupt and criminal, the more recede from our potential.

Chicken Boo

There are no visionaries in the ANC, where are we taking this country or are we just
drifting along without a navigator, without a destination, still blaming everything on
whites and apartheid ?
Yes, very much. The gravy train is all about the journey, not the destination. And blaming the past.. well who can pass that up? The ANC have no sense of accountability or responsibility whatsoever. Their crimes against humanity are a lot less formalized and structured than apartheid's, but effectively not very different.

Daruk

Honorary Master
It's been in the news for ever. Eastern Cape is ANC stronghold. There is constant political infighting and lack of delivery. It seems National Government have left the rot to continue. Worst run departments are health and education. All the local government cares about is their seats and salaries.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
It's been in the news for ever. Eastern Cape is ANC stronghold. There is constant political infighting and lack of delivery. It seems National Government have left the rot to continue. Worst run departments are health and education. All the local government cares about is their seats and salaries.
Whoa dude, can't go on blaming the past for all current failures. I think the ANC got to where they are now all on their own.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Whoa dude, can't go on blaming the past for all current failures. I think the ANC got to where they are now all on their own.
I think you misunderstand. National government has been ANC run since 1994. I'm not sure how you think the 'National Party' could be responsible for 'leaving the rot to continue'. National govenment as opposed to regional government. It's National Government's responsibility to step in and stop the rot but they've left them to their devices.