Migration from WebAfrica (Vumatell) to Cool Ideas - Questions

Pr0zac

So I've had my fiber with WebAfrica (WA) through Vumatel for almost a year now and got it as soon as my neighborhood (Parow North, Cape Town) went live. I started with a 20/2 Mbps basic package, but I'm medically retired/disabled so home a lot) and eventually started working from home again full-time so upped that to a 200/20 Mbps one around November last year. I've never really gotten my full 200 Mbps down speed from WA though, doing random Speedtests to gauge and confirm this (fresh MyBB Speedtest also attached for reference), but was/am at least getting a 100 Mbps down or just below usually. This is/was bearable and I just didn't have the time to chase WA about it, but obviously not what I'm paying for and I think it's time to switch now as this has gone on for long enough.

2019-05-02.png
I've also secretly been wanting to switch to Cool Ideas (CI) for a while now and actually wanted to originally go with them, but I kinda needed the semi okay router that came with WA as my old one was showing it's age, so 2 birds 1 stone. This is no longer the case, but I also know there's claw back charges for this stuff. Does anyone thus know how bad it will be considering I've almost been with WA a year now? Also, with what the 200/20 package is costing me at WA I might as well get the 1000/100 Coolest Pro package at CI, will there be any issues with this? My router can handle Gig lines apparently (Ubiquiti Amplifi HD setup) so I should be good there I believe. Also, I know it's the 2nd of the month now so that's probably unfortunate, but any feedback, instructions and advise will be welcomed!

Flamer283

I've also had issues with Webafrica never reaching my full speeds internationally. I created a ticket and after a few weeks of emailing back and forth and running a few tests, my line was reaching full speeds on international. It just takes a while to get them to actually do something and fix it.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
So I've had my fiber with WebAfrica (WA) through Vumatel for almost a year now and got it as soon as my neighborhood (Parow North, Cape Town) went live. I started with a 20/2 Mbps basic package, but I'm medically retired/disabled so home a lot) and eventually started working from home again full-time so upped that to a 200/20 Mbps one around November last year. I've never really gotten my full 200 Mbps down speed from WA though, doing random Speedtests to gauge and confirm this (fresh MyBB Speedtest also attached for reference), but was/am at least getting a 100 Mbps down or just below usually. This is/was bearable and I just didn't have the time to chase WA about it, but obviously not what I'm paying for and I think it's time to switch now as this has gone on for long enough.

View attachment 652200
I've also secretly been wanting to switch to Cool Ideas (CI) for a while now and actually wanted to originally go with them, but I kinda needed the semi okay router that came with WA as my old one was showing it's age, so 2 birds 1 stone. This is no longer the case, but I also know there's claw back charges for this stuff. Does anyone thus know how bad it will be considering I've almost been with WA a year now? Also, with what the 200/20 package is costing me at WA I might as well get the 1000/100 Coolest Pro package at CI, will there be any issues with this? My router can handle Gig lines apparently (Ubiquiti Amplifi HD setup) so I should be good there I believe. Also, I know it's the 2nd of the month now so that's probably unfortunate, but any feedback, instructions and advise will be welcomed!
I don't see any reason for having any issues, is it Vumatel trenched or Aerial?

Pr0zac

So sorry @PBCool ! Had this post marker as followed, but didn't get the message for some reason. I've also just been a tad busy with work. To answer, It is Vuma trenched, yes.

Also, I brought up me not getting my full 200 Mbps down speed with WebAfrica Support, and we performed the usual troubleshooting (which I've done before, but I played along). Unfortunately (fortunately?) it was also on a day (Friday the 3rd of May) when Vumatel was seemingly having some issues with my area (Parow North, Cape Town) and it's neighbouring areas (according to Down Detector). After I connected directly to the ONT as advised, I was only getting 6 Mbps down, which had WA raising a ticket with Vuma immediately of course. Vuma engineers pitched up like an hour later (real impressed), did some tests, and found an issue with my up-link or something. They replaced the ONT and in their testing before leaving, with a laptop plugged into the ONT directly, they were getting 215 Mbps down. After they left, I was at least getting over a 100 Mbps down again, but I'm still only reaching about 125 Mbps down on average. I'm doing a test a day now at random times with mostly dead network activity when doing so. Did one now with the MyBB Speedtester, which can be found below:
2019-05-07 - Speedtest 12.png
Clearly not perfect still and I'm not unreasonable person, but geesh. I know it's marketed as "up to INSERT SPEED HERE". but that's 75 Mbps down I'm not getting. That's easily 2 to 3 households worth of down speed I'm paying for and not getting. Safe to say I'm a tad annoyed. I contacted the WA sales team too to ask how bad the "Claw back" would be and they just essentially said what I said in the mail to them.. that there is a Claw back. I went and checked and I've beem with them a year in June, which they stated is when the claw back expires (which I knew).

Marcell1992

One should get what you pay for, so log tickets until your issue is resolved. I'd rather do this than pay a claw back fee which is/might be pro-rata, just check your contract with them.

DeatheCore

View attachment 652200
Hey there, I stay in Panorama, and if I'm not mistaken our Vumatel fibre went live a month or so before yours in Parow North. Perhaps our lines connect to the same Vumatel PoP (wherever that may be) as I've been battling with shoddy international throughput for over a month now.

I have a 100/100 line and throughput in CPT is fine, but international dips down to 10-20Mbps during peak hours and most evenings can't even sustain a 6Mbps video stream from Twitch. The issue is usually much worse during peak times, from around 7PM until 11PM. The catch is I've been with Cool Ideas since day 1, and the line used to perform great for the first few months, but it's been a back-and-forth with no resolution for a while now. Perhaps there is a Vumatel issue? If you do decide to switch ISPs please report back here with some speedtests, to local servers and London if possible so we can compare.

Pr0zac

Hey there, I stay in Panorama, and if I'm not mistaken our Vumatel fibre went live a month or so before yours in Parow North. Perhaps our lines connect to the same Vumatel PoP (wherever that may be) as I've been battling with shoddy international throughput for over a month now.

I have a 100/100 line and throughput in CPT is fine, but international dips down to 10-20Mbps during peak hours and most evenings can't even sustain a 6Mbps video stream from Twitch. The issue is usually much worse during peak times, from around 7PM until 11PM. The catch is I've been with Cool Ideas since day 1, and the line used to perform great for the first few months, but it's been a back-and-forth with no resolution for a while now. Perhaps there is a Vumatel issue? If you do decide to switch ISPs please report back here with some speedtests, to local servers and London if possible so we can compare.

Haha, yeah... all my tests have been to local only servers, so I'm not even getting my full local down speed. An international Speedtest to say America looks much much worse, as seen below:

2019-05-07 - International Speedtest 1.png

When the Vuma engineers were at my house to check and replace my ONT last Friday I asked them where my sort of "exchange" is, and it's apparently at the nearby church (I can hear it's bells Sundays it's so close). So I doubt it's that. After they replaced my ONT though they ran tests by plugging in directly to it and showed me how they're getting 215 Mbps down. Why I'm thinking this seems more like a WebAfrica thing. I'll raise another WA Support ticket tomorrow and start making a stink again. I just want near what I'm paying for. You don't buy a car with 4 wheels and then just have to be happy when 1 or 2 wheels just don't work as advertised. I've been quiet about this long enough.