Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System

Mzezman

Expert Member
So from the video it seems like expected behaviour. Battery will power the entire load (essential and non-essential).

View attachment 1303410

Unless you tick Grid Charge in your geyser slot, so it coincides with your geyser switching on. Then it won't go below a certain level.

Vid for anyone interested.

You may as well put everything on essentials to be honest, if you're going to need you manage your night time load manually...
Or on Aux... unless they add another function to only send to CT during daytime and not during night

Koosvanwyk

So from the video it seems like expected behaviour. Battery will power the entire load (essential and non-essential).

View attachment 1303410

Unless you tick Grid Charge in your geyser slot, so it coincides with your geyser switching on. Then it won't go below a certain level.

Vid for anyone interested.

You may as well put everything on essentials to be honest, if you're going to need you manage your night time load manually...
Why not use the timer setting to supply all power from grid in that hour in the morning when the geyser turns on and back to battery as soon as the geyser turns of?

Hd7

Why not use the timer setting to supply all power from grid in that hour in the morning when the geyser turns on and back to battery as soon as the geyser turns of?
This is what I've done. Also helps if you have the ability to have your geyser "timer" coincide with your time of use settings. But would be great if CT use could distinguish between day and night

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

This is what I've done. Also helps if you have the ability to have your geyser "timer" coincide with your time of use settings. But would be great if CT use could distinguish between day and night
I've pretty much had to do this. Time of use schedule now coincides with the geyser timer.

I suppose there's pros and cons of powering non-essentials via the CT.

The upside is that when there's an outage or load shedding, your high load devices are automatically shut down with no manual intervention required.

The downside is if the outage is a long one, you eventually run out of hot water...

Hd7

I've pretty much had to do this. Time of use schedule now coincides with the geyser timer.

I suppose there's pros and cons of powering non-essentials via the CT.

The upside is that when there's an outage or load shedding, your high load devices are automatically shut down with no manual intervention required.

The downside is if the outage is a long one, you eventually run out of hot water...
Exactly the conundrum if you have a split db. But no risk of the geyser coming on and draining the battery in the middle of the night when the power goes out

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
It's like on the whole day
Don't mind when it comes on during the day since it's run off solar.

Need to run it a bit in the evening because we give the kid a bath and have our evening showers. Suppose I could change 10pm to something like 8pm...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Need to run it a bit in the evening because we give the kid a bath and have our evening showers. Suppose I could change 10pm to something like 8pm...

Was about to say mine goes on at 17:30 and off at 19:00 and everyone baths/showers happily.

Run it another 1 1/2 hours in the morning as well and that’s it for the day.

But I’ve set it higher to 65-degrees.

When I go Solar I plan to have it turn on and stay on when the PV production is viable and then turn off once it’s gone.

Hd7

Same thing here. Runs from 4.30 am to 6am so we can go to work, school etc. Off till 9.30 (so pv can charge the battery), then on till 3pm so kids can have their evening baths.

The problem is when i have a 4 to 6am LS slot...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Same thing here. Runs from 4.30 am to 6am so we can go to work, school etc. Off till 9.30 (so pv can charge the battery), then on till 3pm so kids can have their evening baths.

The problem is when i have a 4 to 6am LS slot...
That early morning LS slot is the issue. That's why I run it for an hour after everyone baths in the evening, and switch off at 10. Can lower this to 8pm with minimal impact.

If there's an outage at least it's still hot in the morning. If not then it's just a small top up for like 15 minutes between 5-6 am. If there's an evening outage then the morning switch-on will cover it...

Reactions: Hd7

TedLasso

Expert Member
How crap is your geyser? , In fact I think you need to play more :)

Family of four here. We have two geysers. Kitchen and bathrooms .

The bathroom geyser runs for 3 hours a day (12pm-3pm) . Kitchen geysers is turned on for 2 hours on specific days.

We shower kids at night and then we adults shower in morning. Still have enough hot water in the morning for both of us.

Of course , I played a lot to understand minimum heating time which has worked well and WAF (wife approval factor) has been passed.

Geyser only gets extra run time if we have guests staying over. I have a binary switch in hass, which if toggled is then used by an automation to turn on the bathroom geyser at 4am-6am for the boost. Just realised , I could use presence detection to see that if someone is on guest WiFi at 4am - turn on.

As an aside,, we never had electricity for 27 hours past weekend , and still managed to shower kids about 24 hours after geyser was last on in the evening. Water was still warm! I was surprised we still had hot water considering wife and I had showered that morning thinking that was it. Wife had warmed water on gas stove to wipe the kids down, but ended up not being required.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Basically switch 2 geysers on at 9 (has a geyser blanket) and 11am (must still install blanket). Switch them off at 18:30.

One I leave on 24/7. Might revert to off 22pm and then on at 5am once geyser blanket on.

Hd7

The bathroom geyser runs for 3 hours a day (12pm-3pm) . Kitchen geysers is turned on for 2 hours on specific days.

We shower kids at night and then we adults shower in morning. Still have enough hot water in the morning for both of us.

Of course , I played a lot to understand minimum heating time which has worked well and WAF (wife approval factor) has been passed.

Geyser only gets extra run time if we have guests staying over. I have a binary switch in hass, which if toggled is then used by an automation to turn on the bathroom geyser at 4am-6am for the boost. Just realised , I could use presence detection to see that if someone is on guest WiFi at 4am - turn on.

As an aside,, we never had electricity for 27 hours past weekend , and still managed to shower kids about 24 hours after geyser was last on in the evening. Water was still warm! I was surprised we still had hot water considering wife and I had showered that morning thinking that was it. Wife had warmed water on gas stove to wipe the kids down, but ended up not being required.
You have got this right clearly. What geysers and thermostat temps?

BadBoyGP

Same here, geyser blankets work to keep the water hot for longer.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

200L geyser, no blanket yet but that's next on my list.

You also clearly got lucky with a SO who doesn't literally spend 45 minutes in the shower... :(