Mike's (non-Sunsynk) System

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That early morning LS slot is the issue. That's why I run it for an hour after everyone baths in the evening, and switch off at 10. Can lower this to 8pm with minimal impact.

If there's an outage at least it's still hot in the morning. If not then it's just a small top up for like 15 minutes between 5-6 am. If there's an evening outage then the morning switch-on will cover it...

So the way I get around load shedding somewhat is that I have it default to power state ON.

Then in Node Red I have a timer for 1 1/2 hours delay to monitor whenever the geyser goes on, to turn it off again.

Does a pretty good job of not overrunning, but of course it means that middle of the night it would eat some battery.

Can probably fix that by applying a time range to the flow.

I also have presence detection turning it off, but will probably stop using that once I have PV installed.

TedLasso

Expert Member
You have got this right clearly. What geysers and thermostat temps?
Bathroom one is Kwikot 200L, Kitchen some insurance replacement, 100L .. Temps I honestly don't know but if after 3 hours, bathroom geyser water seems hot enough to make a cup of tea.
Same here, geyser blankets work to keep the water hot for longer.
Forgot to mention/consider that. I had installed blankets and insulation on the hot water pipes across the house in the roof (myself nogal) . When the pink aerolites guys did their stuff last year, they did the cold water pipes as a courtesy.
200L geyser, no blanket yet but that's next on my list.

You also clearly got lucky with a SO who doesn't literally spend 45 minutes in the shower... :(
My SO can spend 20 mins in there, but it has to be boiling hot. So far no complaints. Thankfully, we never use the baths in our house. 5 years here, and it's only be used for the kids when they want to have a bubble bath

Reactions: Hd7

Hd7

Bathroom one is Kwikot 200L, Kitchen some insurance replacement, 100L .. Temps I honestly don't know but if after 3 hours, bathroom geyser water seems hot enough to make a cup of tea.

Forgot to mention/consider that. I had installed blankets and insulation on the hot water pipes across the house in the roof (myself nogal) . When the pink aerolites guys did their stuff last year, they did the cold water pipes as a courtesy.

My SO can spend 20 mins in there, but it has to be boiling hot. So far no complaints. Thankfully, we never use the baths in our house. 5 years here, and it's only be used for the kids when they want to have a bubble bath
Well I'm up in the ceiling this weekend with the geyser blanket and pipe insulation so let's see if that's the magic formula

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Well I'm up in the ceiling this weekend with the geyser blanket and pipe insulation so let's see if that's the magic formula
I'm also contemplating this, the geysers may be insulted but those copper pipes in are essentially a heatsink.

What you using for pipe insulation? The pool noodle things?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm also contemplating this, the geysers may be insulted but those copper pipes in are essentially a heatsink.

What you using for pipe insulation? The pool noodle things?

Very lucky that I have no copper in my entire house.

Only the initial sections at the geyser which were easy to just wrap up in spare sections of geyser blanket.

ands45

Expert Member
General question - how long does the average home installation take? Basically to install 8 panels, inverter and 1 battery?
Busy with my installation now on day 5 and still doesn't seem they will be done today. Granted my install maybe isn't as straightforward as it could be but just curious on others experiences

Mzezman

Expert Member
General question - how long does the average home installation take? Basically to install 8 panels, inverter and 1 battery?
Busy with my installation now on day 5 and still doesn't seem they will be done today. Granted my install maybe isn't as straightforward as it could be but just curious on others experiences
Our first install - inverter, 1 battery + 8 panels was done in 1 day. They started at 9am and finished around 6. Adding a 2nd battery + 8 more panels took about 4 hours 2 months later

5 days is a lot - what are the issues?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Generally it's one day to install and one day to wire.

Mine took 4 days because they started just before the weekend and there were some issues with the weather...

ands45

Expert Member
Our first install - inverter, 1 battery + 8 panels was done in 1 day. They started at 9am and finished around 6. Adding a 2nd battery + 8 more panels took about 4 hours 2 months later

5 days is a lot - what are the issues?
There has been rain which delayed the panels, then there is the space between the DB and where the inverter is, so have to run all the cabling through the roof from the kitchen to the garage. Then few other factors but seems like a long time

ands45

Expert Member
Generally it's one day to install and one day to wire.

Mine took 4 days because they started just before the weekend and there were some issues with the weather...
Thanks, weather has been an issue but wiring up inside is still not even done :(

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
There has been rain which delayed the panels, then there is the space between the DB and where the inverter is, so have to run all the cabling through the roof from the kitchen to the garage. Then few other factors but seems like a long time
Similar issue with mine, DB was 20m+ from the inverter, requiring more work. And panels even further out. Installs like ours unfortunately take a bit more time.

You can try and poke and prod a bit, but ultimately you want the installation to be done properly and not rushed...

ands45

Expert Member
Similar issue with mine, DB was 20m+ from the inverter, requiring more work. And panels even further out. Installs like ours unfortunately take a bit more time.

You can try and poke and prod a bit, but ultimately you want the installation to be done properly and not rushed...
Ya, certainly want it done right and installers also want to make sure it is right. Just wanted to get a sense of time frames. Thanks

ADrunkTeddyBear

Expert Member
My install took 2 days

Day one - Electrical work + inv going up
I wanted my whole DB rewired properly along with neutrals coming down to the light switches (Im in the process of putting in sonoff smart switches in every room). All the electrical work of running cable from my inv to the main DB was done as well as running the cables to the roof for the panels, as well as installing a separate DB board for all the AC's at home and installing isolators on them. I also created another DB board for my mining rigs at home that is part of the non essential load

Day two - Panels went up and final testing and settings punched into the inverter and COC issued.

RonSwanson

Honorary Master
Every installation is different, some have more issues and work than others. Generally it's good to budget around 3 days, but sometimes it can be more. It also depends on the level of diligence and attention to detail. And some guys have smaller teams.

stepper

Expert Member
My install literally took 6 hours with 3 guys. They pitched up at 11:30AM and 6PM they were gone.

2 guys on the panels (10 modules), done in less than 2 hours.
Cable run done in 2 hours.
The main guy (I presume the install company owner) mounting and wiring the inverter and batteries.

ands45

Expert Member
Every installation is different, some have more issues and work than others. Generally it's good to budget around 3 days, but sometimes it can be more. It also depends on the level of diligence and attention to detail. And some guys have smaller teams.
For sure, they have been 2/3 people each day so guess will take a bit longer then. Bit frustrating

ands45

Expert Member
My install literally took 6 hours with 3 guys. They pitched up at 11:30AM and 6PM they were gone.

2 guys on the panels (10 modules), done in less than 2 hours.
Cable run done in 2 hours.
The main guy (I presume the install company owner) mounting and wiring the inverter and batteries.
Wow that is quick