Mikrotik hAp ac Lite: How do I setup this router as an 'extender' to my existing WiFi Router

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I have a MikroTik hAp ac Lite router that is just sitting in a dead box; I am using a D-link router supplied by my ISP to connect from CPE to this router.

COVID-19 lockdown now means all family members are inside the house and are competing for physical space--so I have been pushed out to sit somewhere far from others. I want to extend the WiFi signal using the MikroTik router to a room about 20 meters away (we have 2 stories block).

I have searched for a HOWTO guide but I am not getting any success.
Can anyone help me walk me through this process.

I want to setup the MikroTik as an extender not as a primary device.
Under Quick Set...what is the option to choose? etc, and how do I scan for the WiFi I want to extend through this MikroTik device?
I have Winbox x64 installed and I am able to hard-reset the MikroTik to factory reset (Power-on while pressing the reset button, until usr light starts flashing)...then after this I am able to login into the device using Winbox.
Then i am lost....

Help, guidance much appreciated.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hi again---does the Ethernet cable have to be connect to the source WiFi router while doing this setup?...sort of defeats the purpose of using the Mikrotik router as WiFi extender, no??

Just checking...

Evo1ve

Seems like you setup a wireless station bridge. That mode will force you to use a ethernet cable on the Mikrotik.

Do you have a screenshot of your current wireless config?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
That is while not connected to the WiFi through a Ethernet cable. I am downstairs (where the Mikrotik router will be placed), and the source WiFi (D-link 1200AC) is upstairs; I do not have a long enogh Ethernet cable to connect to the Mikrotik, so want to set up Mikrotik wirelessly...does this make sense??

Evo1ve

Setup seems fine... Could be that the 1200AC is not giving an IP address to your Mikrotik router. That explains the DHCP client "searching issue"

How does the setup look on Winbox -> Bridge -> Ports?

Also make sure that "station-pseudobridge" is selected for wlan1

1585555687370.png

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Yes all seems to be as you stated above.

I think my problem is that when I create a slave wlan3 from wlan1, and connect to master WiFi...it does not give me an option to create an SSID for this slave--it assumes that the master SSID and slave SSID are the same...so when I try to search on Windows WiFi aerial (system tray for an SSID..it does not show me the newly created salve connection setup as a ap-bridge....

I am exhausted now....will come back when I have some more time.

Thanks

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
tried again and again...I am sure I am missing something, somewhere. No joy. Why is this so hard on Mikrotik?? That second video has steps the first (Academy) video does not. I watched it in slow motion, and I can't replicate the steps to make it work.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I am resetting the router to factory-setting-Want to try this again. Will get back

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
No I did not get it right. Evo1 above tried to help and got it working, but for some reason when I moved the router downstairs it just did not want to extend the signal. So back to square one.

I will make time this weekend to work on it--now need to get back to my deadlines.

Thanks for checking in. When you do come right, let me know.

ronz91

Expert Member
sorry slightly left of the topic

but would this allow me to extend my current wifi network? if not, whats the disadvantages of having it as another access point?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
sorry slightly left of the topic

but would this allow me to extend my current wifi network? if not, whats the disadvantages of having it as another access point?
I have netgear N300 extender (looks just like this TPLink) setup to extend my Wifi upstairs--it is easy to setup. You could also have a ethernet cable threaded from your WiFi Router (connected to ONT) to this TPlink and use it as an extender/repeater. I am no expert at this, but this has been my experience.