Mikrotik SXT LTE Kit

So some of you may recall my review on the wAP LTE Kit. This is similar but with 2 key differences: 1) Integrated 9dBi 60 degree antenna 2) Dual Micro SIM card slots. The price point is also very attractive ~R2200. You can't buy a router and external antenna for that price. I see no reason to purchase the wAP LTE since this has been released.

Marketing blurb
The SXT LTE kit (product code RBSXTR&R11e-LTE) is a device for remote locations that are within cellular network coverage. However, due to it’s professional LTE chip design and high gain antenna, it can provide connectivity for your building even where cell phones can’t.

In comparison with our first generation model RBSXTLTE3-7, the SXT LTE kit is powered by faster CPU and supports not only LTE with more speeds, but also 2G and 3G, as well as much wider band range.

The unit is equipped with two Ethernet ports (the second port has PoE-out functionality), so you can use it to power up another device. Unit is shipped with a 24 V power supply, but can support full range 18-57 V and is 802.3af/at compliant.

The device has a built in high quality 2G/3G/4G/LTE Category 4 modem for speeds of up to 150 Mbit/s downlink and 50 Mbit/s uplink, as well as two Micro SIM slots for backup link.

RBSXTR&R11e-LTE includes LTE modem that supports International LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 20, 38 and 40.
1543_l.jpg

Details: https://mikrotik.com/product/sxt_lte_kit
Product Sheet: https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/RBSXTR_R11e-LTE-180529113929.pdf

Some info on the dual-SIM which is a bit confusing:
  • Slots fit Micro SIM
  • On the routerboard they are marked as SIM A & B. They are a bit tricky to get a SIM in and out of, but generally one shouldn't be swapping SIMs often.
  • In Winbox you choose the SIM by going System > Routerboard > SIM. Slot A = down, Slot B = up. Obviously designed by engineers, cause it makes no sense why you'd have one naming convention on the board and another in OS.
  • You create the APN under Interface > LTE > LTE APNs
  • Fail-over can apparently be scripted: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dual_SIM_Application

In my side-by-side testing with the wAP attached to the Poynting and the SXT kit there was at most a 2-3 dBm difference, with the Poynting coming through with the strongest signal. Speedtests were pretty much exactly the same.

Last edited:

SideWinder

I foresee a small problem with the failover setup. The antenna/router is pointed at ISP1. Now ISP fails, and you have configured the router to switch over to ISP2. Most likely, ISP1 & ISP 2 is not sharing the same tower, hence ISP2's signal strength will be very low, if not zero, thus no service. I need this feature, as my outdoor router is overpowered by operators who have very strong signal from newly established towers 300m from my house. The router actually picks up VC & CellC about once a week, but obviously does not connect. Then I need a reboot to kick it back to primary ISP. And when I'm not home, that becomes a issue.

BTW, I get a static IP from my primary ISP, and dynamic from ISP2. What is the best way to integrate NAT & PAT?

Sarel0092

Has anyone had the below problems with the SXT?

Can't automatically reconnect if connection is dropped.

No traffic can passthrough the LTE connection then you have to disable the interface and enable it again. When this happens I can see the LTE interface got a IP address.

Don't have one running full time. So can't say I've seen this issue.

Perhaps you can craft a script to run a ping every 5 min. If no reply disable/enable the interface.

Sarel0092

Don't have one running full time. So can't say I've seen this issue.

Perhaps you can craft a script to run a ping every 5 min. If no reply disable/enable the interface.
I'm actually running a script already, just though someone might have a different solution.