Milky Way’s Black Hole Just Flared, Growing 75 Times as Bright for a Few Hours

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Even though the black hole at the center of the Milky Way is a monster, it’s still rather quiet. Called Sagittarius A*, it’s about 4.6 million times more massive than our Sun. Usually, it’s a brooding behemoth. But scientists observing Sgr. A* with the Keck Telescope just watched as its brightness bloomed to over 75 times normal for a few hours.

The flaring is not visible in optical light. It’s all happening in the near-infrared, the portion of the infrared spectrum closest to optical light. Astronomers have been watching Sgr. A* for 20 years, and though the black hole does have some variability in its output, this 75 times normal flaring event is like nothing astronomers have observed before. This peak was over twice as bright as the previous peak flux level.
More At: https://www.universetoday.com/143150/milky-ways-black-hole-just-flared-growing-75-times-as-bright-for-a-few-hours/

C4Cat

Executive Member
The black hole is 26000 light years away... assuming certain things (like the inability to breach the speed of light) then whatever is coming our way is still a good little while away from reaching us :p
Not really, it means whatever we're seeing now happened 26000 years ago...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Not really, it means whatever we're seeing now happened 26000 years ago...
Thats speed of light... we know (cos science says so) that we can't travel that fast, so assuming 0.7 times the speed of light would still give us 10000 years or so :p

Yes, of course I'm being full of kark and also covering for the fact that I made a fundamental error in my own post but hey....

isie

Honorary Master
The black hole is 26000 light years away... assuming certain things (like the inability to breach the speed of light) then whatever is coming our way is still a good little while away from reaching us :p
unless whatever came through can travel Faster then light - and they already reached us 26000 years ago and I guess they gave us umm Fabric