Millions flock to Signal and Telegram after Facebook outage

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Millions join Telegram and Signal during six-hour WhatsApp outage

Signal and Telegram, two private messenger apps, saw downloads and user sign-ups soar during the extended downtime of Facebook Inc.’s network of apps and services.

Millions of new users joined the Edward Snowden-endorsed Signal on Monday, it said on Twitter. Telegram, whose functionality closely mirrors that of WhatsApp, surged 55 places to top the U.S. iPhone download chart, according to Sensor Tower.

[Bloomberg]

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
I can't migrate to Telegram or Signal, because my job is on WhatsApp.
So we wait out the outage, comes back online, move on, get on with the job.

Nereus77

I can't migrate to Telegram or Signal, because my job is on WhatsApp.
So we wait out the outage, comes back online, move on, get on with the job.
WhatsApp is how I chat to the "normies" so I guess I can never actually remove it from my phone *sigh*

It was a nice few hours without FB and WA. Calming, even.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Telegram added 70M new users amid six-hour WhatsApp outage

Six hours of Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp not working globally affected more than just customers, it also hurt the three companies and Zuckerberg’s pockets. On the other hand, Telegram benefited from this outage as it received over 70 million new users in one day.

According to Telegram’s CEO on his channel (via TechCrunch), Telegram “welcomed over 70 million refugees from other platforms in one day.” Pavel Durov praised its app for a “record increase in user registration and activity.”

He wrote:

“I am proud of how our team handled the unprecedent growth because Telegram continued to work flawlessly for the vast majority of our users. That said, some users in the Americas may have experienced slower speed than usual as millions of users from these continents rushed to sign up for Telegram at the same time.”

Although people in the US and most 9to5Mac readers prefer iMessage, WhatsApp is the most important message app in other countries, such as Brazil. Every time Facebook services have an outage, people start to migrate to Telegram, but it’s been a while since the last massive migration happened.

Ghost64

Expert Member
I wonder what’s the Android iPhone ratio in the US if iMessage is number 1?