Mind the speed ISP

rrh

Expert Member
Today's move to MTS went as follows:

Went shopping at 08h00, with line down. Returned at 11h00: all working, with speed tests showing the correct (50/50) speed. According to the emails received, the switch was completed shortly before 09h00.

I was concerned about the payment of my monthly subscription fee, this as a result of Evonet's (my previous ISP) being adamant that payment had to be effected prior to the month-end for the following month. So it was nice to find a more normal "payment is due by the 7th of the month".

I logged in to the customer portal, paid the amount due, and all is well.

For now, at least :)

rh1

Expert Member
I see browsing internationally has been slow tonight, sub 1Mbps on a 50Mbps line

Bl1zz4rd

Pretty slow today in general. Some web pages not loading at all. Started late yesterday, but appears to be even slower today. Anyone else having issues?

I'm Vuma trenched in CT Southern Suburbs.

dj2381

Expert Member
Pretty slow today in general. Some web pages not loading at all. Started late yesterday, but appears to be even slower today. Anyone else having issues?

Yup same issue, I'm in Northern Suburbs.

rrh

Expert Member
Just ran a speed test: getting full rated 50/50 speed in Johannesburg.

binloud

No pretty normal my side, CT Vuma trenched Southern Suburbs as well.

Bl1zz4rd

No pretty normal my side, CT Vuma trenched Southern Suburbs as well.
Thanks. That's so weird. Lots of random sites are just refusing to load. Everything from Google sites to LinkedIn to Reddit. And insane packet loss in Apex Legends. I've already rebooted everything multiple times, so I have no idea, haha.

b1scu1t

Been trying to live stream to YouTube and I'm having such a terrible experience trying to stream.
Can't stream in HD. I often get almost 70% dropped frames due to network conditions and this explains why.
And this is nothing new. It happens alot.
Doing a test just now a.rtmp.youtube.com is routing to an ingest server in California so doing a speedtest to CA showed why I can't stream in at 9000kbps :(:thumbsdown:

This is on a 300/300 line:eek:

Last night between 7-8 upload speeds in OBS sat at 0kbps for minutes at a time.

LA speedtest2.PNG

mjzar

I've been experiencing really terrible upload speeds for International traffic. Tested multiple servers and getting like 2/3Mbps for destination London/EU. Really frustrating. I re-established my WAN pppd connection and it seemed to improve but still not great. I'm on 100/100

rrh

Expert Member
I've been experiencing really terrible upload speeds for International traffic. Tested multiple servers and getting like 2/3Mbps for destination London/EU. Really frustrating. I re-established my WAN pppd connection and it seemed to improve but still not great. I'm on 100/100
Using Ookla on a 50/50 line:

New York 38/13
London 24/37

MoHaG

If it tests fine to local stuff the line speed is fine.... (and everything between you and the ISP's infrastructure)

If it is then slow to international, it is probably a lack of bandwidth (or an issue) between the ISP and that server (with the ISP's international bandwidth being the obvious bottleneck)

Metalspawn

Is it just me or did MTS have issues last night as well as tonight? (2021-10-29 and 2021-10-30)? I am in Centurion on MFN

mjzar

Is it just me or did MTS have issues last night as well as tonight? (2021-10-29 and 2021-10-30)? I am in Centurion on MFN
Yes. I’ve been experiencing major connection issues with MTS this evening and yesterday.
They’re terrible at communicating with their customers

rrh

Expert Member
Received a dreaded "price increase" email a short while ago ... 50/50 will cost R895 from 1st January <sigh>