Mindthespeed.co.za Launching 19 August 2019

ld13

Honorary Master
You can choose a router apparently. Free install/migration. 12 month clawback. No FUP. 10GB free cloud storage.
As per the old terms I have here they supply a Zyxel VMG3625-T20A router or provide you with a ~R862.50/R650 discount towards your router of choice. It mentions the 10gb cloud storage on the order PDF, but states that it is 5gb in the terms. Their term and PDF order pages are contradicting.

We shall see what happens at midnight I guess? Or midday - I see the counter is counting down to midday and not midnight. Odd.

ld13

Honorary Master
Site is live.

Edit:
FAIL
10/10 on FF is indeed R575. Not the cheapest.

Last edited:

DYreX146

I like the status page they have, it's quite comprehensive as it lists the status of all their infrastructure and fibre providers.

Nimz

Expert Member
Only good thing so far is the free static IP address

requiem

Expert Member
So nothing amazing here.

A little bit cheaper than CISP? but then again these guys have zero track record....

Bit of a damp squib

DeSLAM

Well I see MTS has launched now.

R460 total per month on Openserve no FUP no shaping or throttling with a free router and free installation/migration.

That puts them as the lowest uncapped unshaped unthrottled 10/5 Openserve package. Sow now cheapest is MTS and then CISP.
These are all virtual ISPs (resellers) of other "FNO" networks - while some FNOs are also ISPs; VUMA, Frogfoot etc.

I find all this asymmetrical fibre options a joke - as some symmetrical offers are similar in price to asymmetrical ones from the same FNO provider. And what the heck is this about going asymmetrical on fibre anyway?

Openserve wants you to pay more for a fixed IP over fibre - so nothing "smart home". or "smart city" about that. And it makes them more costly, as the fixed IP isn't offered for free, but an add-on.

Best offer via Openserve as FNO is R399/month for 8/5 Mbps asymmetrical. Not offered by this reselller.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
These are all virtual ISPs anyway (resellers) of another network) VUMA, Frogfoot etc.

I find all this asymmetrical fibre options a joke - as some symmetrical offers are similar in price to asymmetrical ones from the same provider. And what the heck is this about going asymmetrical on fibre anyway?

Openserve wants you to pay more for a fixed IP over fibre - so nothing "smart home". or "smart city" about that. And it makes them more costly, as the fixed IP isn't offered for free, but an add-on.
Well Openserve, Vumatel, Frogfoot ect ect are all cable providers. They do not offer internet connectivity actually they just provide the cable. Afrihost, Cool Ideas, Supersonic, Internet Solutions, Telkom, ect ect are the ISPs as they provide the internet. I don't know if MTS is a reseller of Afrihost or Internet Solutions or if they have their own network.

ajan

I find all this asymmetrical fibre options a joke - as some symmetrical offers are similar in price to asymmetrical ones from the same provider. And what the heck is this about going asymmetrical on fibre anyway?
The majority of splitters are asymmetrical. The only reason why FNOs provide this illusion of symmetry over an asymmetrical network, is because they can get away with "promising" more upload bandwidth as it's less contended during peak. OS has probably refused to go symmetrical due to IPC and/or the direct way their exchanges have been built to handle contention.

DeSLAM

Afrihost, Cool Ideas, Supersonic, Internet Solutions, Telkom, ect ect are the ISPs as they provide the internet.
They provide the connectivity and data bundles yes.

MTS's network (international and local peering) is explained on their website. And it appears they may be part of Network Platforms white-labelled FTTH reseller network.

Last edited: