Mini media pc

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Seems stupid to argue that as an issue if it's simple enough to use.

So option is just Plex server and Kodi client, not sure what's the issue with that.

Because why bother with the Kodi client and running a Plex client on top of it if you already have a full Plex environment?

Just run Plex directly.

Only time this would make sense is if you had some weird client device that could run Kodi but not Plex…which I would imagine doesn’t exist in the modern world.

_kabal_

Expert Member
on the Seagate Expansion 4TB 2.5" Portable Hard Drive
Although I do agree here that I really should get some network NAS. Wouldnt be the end of the world if this drive crashed, but would be inconvenient

s0lar

Expert Member
Because why bother with the Kodi client and running a Plex client on top of it if you already have a full Plex environment?

Just run Plex directly.

Only time this would make sense is if you had some weird client device that could run Kodi but not Plex…which I would imagine doesn’t exist in the modern world.
Only makes sense for you edge case of wanting to watch outside of your home network.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Just run Plex directly.

Plex server* not client.

Because Kodi has a lot more customizable interface, handles local files better, better integration casting from e.g. phone to Kodi device without a need to set up a server on that device.
And it's a dumb argument, Kodi is free, why not use it in conjunction?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Plex server* not client.

Because Kodi has a lot more customizable interface, handles local files better, better integration casting from e.g. phone to Kodi device without a need to set up a server on that device.
Not to mention addon support as well.

Budza

Executive Member
So my NUC is having real cooling issues, I think the fan is toast.

I just recently cleaned it an reapplied thermal paste, but just today it shut itself down and was very hot to the touch.

I don’t think a NAS is going to work for me.

I want something realiable, smallish (doesn’t need to be NUC small), quietish, that I can run Linux, Kodi, a browser and qbittorrent, that will live under my tv.

any suggestions?
I've also got a NUC I've just cleaned. Fan vents clogged with dust & the thing was making too much noise.

Quieter now, I'm hoping regular cleaning will stop the fan burning out.

Do you reckon that's what happened to yours?

I'm also going to try undervolting the thing to get it to run a little cooler/quieter.

I've taken the plastic lid off and have added an old alu heatsink on top of the fan for some additional passive cooling- that thing gets quite warm so I suppose that means it's working...

Speedster

Honorary Master
For those still trying to wrap their heads around Plex. It's basically like having Netflix for your home. You have a server somewhere, and everyone else just taps into that from the native apps. No need for any additional boxes under the TV etc etc.

s0lar

Expert Member
Not true. Plex wins handsdown if you have multiple viewing devices (TVs, tablets, phones, laptops) in your home
Please do explain. You have to install plex client app on those devices, right? So what is the difference to installing a upnp based app, say VLC on the mobile device to access via Kodi (server component)?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Plex server* not client.

Plex is also free.

And you need to install the Plex server to make the clients work.

So again why involve Kodi?

Plex doesn’t do local files at all. It’s not part of the design. Do you use a flash drive to watch TV or something?

Casting works perfectly fine with the Plex client. You don’t need to setup any server or anything of the sort.

There is just no point in having Kodi in the equation.

And sure you can customise the interface on Kodi, but that’s like complaining you can’t change the Netflix interface.

_kabal_

Expert Member
I've also got a NUC I've just cleaned. Fan vents clogged with dust & the thing was making too much noise.

Quieter now, I'm hoping regular cleaning will stop the fan burning out.

Do you reckon that's what happened to yours?

I'm also going to try undervolting the thing to get it to run a little cooler/quieter.

I've taken the plastic lid off and have added an old alu heatsink on top of the fan for some additional passive cooling- that thing gets quite warm so I suppose that means it's working...

yeah, I think it burnt out, but I havent tried to inspect it off device, but I remove the internals and powered it on out-box, and the fan was not moving and bios reported 0-rpm

This is the NUC7i5BNH

Definitely going to order the new fan from Amazon though

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Please do explain. You have to install plex client app on those devices, right? So what is the difference to installing a upnp based app, say VLC on the mobile device to access via Kodi (server component)?

For one uPNP doesn’t track your watch history.

It also doesn’t support transcoding so you need a pretty powerful device on both ends.

It also doesn’t work remotely.

You also can’t categorise or restrict content over uPNP and it’s just open to all.

It’s also a rubbish interface.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
For those still trying to wrap their heads around Plex. It's basically like having Netflix for your home. You have a server somewhere, and everyone else just taps into that from the native apps. No need for any additional boxes under the TV etc etc.

Yeah I can only surmise people have never actually used it and therefore don’t really understand how any of this works.

s0lar

Expert Member
For one uPNP doesn’t track your watch history.

It also doesn’t support transcoding so you need a pretty powerful device on both ends.

It also doesn’t work remotely.

You also can’t categorise or restrict content over uPNP and it’s just open to all.

It’s also a rubbish interface.
Use one of the very many html 5 player web ui interfaces, with media management if watch history and restrictions are your concern. Also less effort than installing an app as with plex..

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
on the Seagate Expansion 4TB 2.5" Portable Hard Drive

And if that’s full? Then you going to end up with a spaghetti of drives under your TV?

Hint : I have 18TB of redundant storage in my garage. Out of sight and out of mind. My TV viewing is blissfully silent as it should be with nothing visual distracting either.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Use one of the very many html 5 player web ui interfaces, with media management if watch history and restrictions are your concern. Also less effort than installing an app as with plex..

How is that less hassle than installing an App?

You do an app once and it’s done.

Now you’ll need to go through an entire browser experience every time.

Clearly you’ve never actually had these needs to know what you are missing and how bizarrely broken your recommendations are.

It would literally be going back in time to prehistoric era to use anything the way you suggest over to the magic that is Plex in my home right now.

Not to mention you still have the remote problem that is lacking.

Speedster

Honorary Master
The Plex client is plug and play. Download it (for free) from the applicable store and you're good to go. I can watch a movie on the TV in the lounge, stop when it's time to go put the kids in bed and pick up where I left off on the tablet a bit later. All seamless

s0lar

Expert Member
The Plex client is plug and play. Download it (for free) from the applicable store and you're good to go. I can watch a movie on the TV in the lounge, stop when it's time to go put the kids in bed and pick up where I left off on the tablet a bit later. All seamless
Yes as it is with Kodi and HTML 5. Less hassle, no need to install an app. And no need to hand over your metadata or pay for the service.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
How is that less hassle than installing an App?

You do an app once and it’s done.

Now you’ll need to go through an entire browser experience every time.

Clearly you’ve never actually had these needs to know what you are missing and how bizarrely broken your recommendations are.

It would literally be going back in time to prehistoric era to use anything the way you suggest over to the magic that is Plex in my home right now.

Not to mention you still have the remote problem that is lacking.
Again, all of them are about the same hassle, you're arguing against things that all aren't a lot of effort. Kodi is a good media player, it can handle a lot of files just fine.
Lots of people don't have their PC on or whatever, so just having a flash drive, plugging it into their Chromecast or whatever (though you'll need a USB C hub) is easy enough for most as well. Plex means PC somewhere must be on, some don't want that. Your needs are not the same as others, this argument is dumb, both are good tools and are complementary.