Mini UPSs and compact battery banks can help to keep you online during load-shedding

Thor

Honorary Master
Ultralan
Omnipower
RCT Power Bank ( micro UPS )

Are the options

rrh

Expert Member
i have one of these below units that I modded and added a Lithium battery instead of a normal LA battery. Busy with another one for my cameras and DVR :).

This is powering my Voip Phone, Edgerouter, Unfi AC AP (POE), Mikrotik Router (POE) and the fibre ONT without issues LOL I can't even remember when I last checked it never had downtime yet. Only time the devices went down was for the occasional firmware/software updates.
View attachment 1174166 View attachment 1174168

Second one i am modding first one looks the same
View attachment 1174220
Just what I am looking for ! Please supply some details e.g. the manufacturer's name of the base unit etc.

adrcl

So what is the verdict?
Which system can I leave plugged in at all times and will kick in during load shedding.
This is only for a router and ONT/CPE?

Thor

Honorary Master
So what is the verdict?
Which system can I leave plugged in at all times and will kick in during load shedding.
This is only for a router and ONT/CPE?

It's a lithium ion (that is what you want) AC to AC UPS

so no need to fiddle with wires and connectors

x7razor

Just what I am looking for ! Please supply some details e.g. the manufacturer's name of the base unit etc.

Sure :)

Base unit
https://www.communica.co.za/products/psu-cctv-12vdc-3-5a

Battery
https://www.livestainable.co.za/product/bslbatt-12-8-7-5ah-lithium-ion-battery/

Wanted to get this one but the current spec was not nice.
https://www.livestainable.co.za/pro...lithium-iron-phosphate-13v-8ah-104wh-battery/

Discharge Current 1.44 A continuous vs 10a or 15a if I remember correctly

rrh

Expert Member

ProfSantosh

The topic on this tread is

Mini UPSs and compact battery banks can help to keep you online during load-shedding​

some of you guys have lost the plot

wingnut771

Honorary Master

rh1

Expert Member
Two configurations are available from GeeWiz, both at R595 for 10,400mAh: 2x 12V + 1x 5V or 1x 12V + 1x 9V + 1x 5V

The unit from Takealot is shown as R1,499 for 38,000mWh for 2x 12V + 1x 5V.

That said, the spec of the Takealot unit is probably wrong, given that an alternative configuration from the same supplier at the same price is spec'd at 57,720mWh/15,600mAh
All three devices is rated at 38.48wh. So AFAIK its is the same capacity?? At least that is my understanding?

Johand

Expert Member
Indeed. And here was me thinking I was losing the plot. Some of these guys are suggesting a bazooka to open a tin of beans.
Some of us have some large and hostile bean tins

If you want to see something insane - I tried looking at what it would take to keep my AMD 5900X desktop, with 6800 RX and 4k monitor running through loadshedding... And my conclusion was I might as well do a proper home battery system instead. Because it gets expensive quite fast...

Last edited: