Mini UPSs and compact battery banks can help to keep you online during load-shedding

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Some of us have some large and hostile bean tins

If you want to see something insane - I tried looking at what it would take to keep my AMD 5900X desktop, with 6800 RX and 4k monitor running through loadshedding... And my conclusion was I might as well do a propper home battery system instead.. Because it gets expensive quite fast...

No, indeed. I've got solar panels, an inverter and a 5kWh lithium battery, but the modem is still plugged in to this from before I installed the bazooka system and I'd recommend it heartily to anyone who wants to keep their internet going through loadshedding ;)

x7razor

Attachments

• 00 Case.jpg
    00 Case.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 01 pcb.jpg
    01 pcb.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 02 battery.jpg
    02 battery.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 03 output.jpg
    03 output.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 04 battery voltage.jpg
    04 battery voltage.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 41

CJ_12

I have a concern, maybe someone can help? If I plug my ONT and router into the mini UPS, won't one of the devices receive over/under the rated current? The ONT states 12V/1A and the router states 12V/2A. Will one of the devices not get damaged or wear out faster?

ProfSantosh

I have a concern, maybe someone can help? If I plug my ONT and router into the mini UPS, won't one of the devices receive over/under the rated current? The ONT states 12V/1A and the router states 12V/2A. Will one of the devices not get damaged or wear out faster?

No, as long as your voltage is fine and stable it will work. It’s actually ideal to have a power supply/source with slightly higher current than you need for high load events.

rh1

Expert Member
My router is 9volt, so I went for this:

For the Fiber ONT I use this:

The only thing is that both don't come with power supply so you have to buy that separately. So far so good, it last the 2 x 2hours load shedding we get during Stage 2. It is permanently plugged in.

It is a perfect solution for the less technically inclined. You cannot mess it up. Power from adaptor goes in, power from battery to router/ONT.

I decided to use two powerbanks as I want it too last as long as possible.

So to give feedback:
My ONT Powerbank which is about 2 years old, was at 3/4 based on the four lights.

And my wifi router powerbank which is about 6 months old, all 4 lights were still on after 2.5 hour loadshedding yesterday.

rh1

Expert Member
So to give feedback:
My ONT Powerbank which is about 2 years old, was at 3/4 based on the four lights.

And my wifi router powerbank which is about 6 months old, all 4 lights were still on after 2.5 hour loadshedding yesterday.
So after this morning loadshedding and this afternoon loadshedding which ended @2.20pm.

Both was still charging prior to 2nd round of loadshedding. So ONT UPS - is on 2 lights out of 4 and Wifi Router was on 3 lights out of 4. Still got another round of loadshedding at 8.00pm.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So to give feedback:

Shoo to be honest I've not even checked mine and I've had it since middle of 2019, so 2 years and a bit old now.
I know it's kept me going for easily 10 hours.

rh1

Expert Member
Shoo to be honest I've not even checked mine and I've had it since middle of 2019, so 2 years and a bit old now.
I know it's kept me going for easily 10 hours.
Thats the best. You know its good when you forget about it.

dusi

What's the best solution to run a 50" led tv and router on battery backup for 2.5 hours?

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I would really love to get one of these Mini-UPS units to keep my stuff up and running during LS, but I have a fatal flaw in my home network being a damn 220v Switch. :( Damned for having an over complicated network at home...

aleksandar

Expert Member
Got this Mini DC UPS to power my 5v gigabit switch and Unifi AP AC via PoE and it only used 25% of battery during 2.5 hour load shedding slot.

I just wanted to have an extra WIFI spot during load shedding.

Last edited:

LetsDance

These backup units need to last for over 12 hours or more- is there such a thing at an affordable price? The ones that last for 6 hours or less will not cut it when Eskom fails for days.

ProfSantosh