Minister of Health Zweli Mkhize considerings resigning following alleged involvement in tender scandal

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
There are no adverse finding against him from any competent state agency, therefore there is no basis for Ramaphosa to fire him, it would either be this or suspension, which will both be paid.
Then you get suspended not special leave. Suspension for charges to be investigated without the cadre interfering.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
He gets paid holiday, so that he can 'attend' to the allegations... Meanwhile, Ramaphosa temporarily 'promotes' the Tourism Minister to acting Health Minister...

I can't say I'm thrilled by the Tourism Minister, in any portfolio, least of all in the middle of a pandemic. Is nobody better qualified?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Then you get suspended not special leave. Suspension for charges to be investigated without the cadre interfering.
It amounts to the same thing, how will he interfere with the investigation?

JayM

Expert Member
He is already occupying a cabinet post as a Deputy Minister.

Yes, and as per my post, he's not qualified for that either!

Jokes aside, it does seem a bit daft that they have a deputy position which doesn't really serve the purpose intended.

surface

Honorary Master
Here is my take. I think Minister of tourism is most likely twiddling thumbs considering covid situation so it gives her something to do useful. That probably leaves deputy to do actual work without getting bogged down being the frontline. Also SIU probe is likely to be wrapped up by June end so....

zoozi

Expert Member
I can't say I'm thrilled by the Tourism Minister, in any portfolio, least of all in the middle of a pandemic. Is nobody better qualified?
You must be shocked! Standard MO, how many times have we seen similar? The ANC should hold an annual musical chairs party, let the ministers fall into positions at random, come on, live a little, can't be worse than it is.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
You must be shocked! Standard MO, how many times have we seen similar? The ANC should hold an annual musical chairs party, let the ministers fall into positions at random, come on, live a little, can't be worse than it is.
There's nothing standard MO about it, health ministers have always been medical doctors, we have never had a health minister who is not a doctor.

zoozi

Expert Member
There's nothing standard MO about it, health ministers have always been medical doctors, we have never had a health minister who is not a doctor.
Yeah our ex-health minister is now minister of home affairs, musical chairs :laugh:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Mmamaloko has had quite the stint in the ministries. She headed Energy, she headed Communications, she headed Science and Technology, and she is currently heading Tourism, and now being the acting 'doctor' in the house. It is a resume some people dream about.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Mmamaloko has had quite the stint in the ministries. She headed Energy, she headed Communications, she headed Science and Technology, and she is currently heading Tourism, and now being the acting 'doctor' in the house. It is a resume some people dream about.
Most of those could have been during Zuma's terms. Van Rooyen had two ministries under his belt within a week.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
It amounts to the same thing, how will he interfere with the investigation?
How will he not?

With suspension there are specific conditions.

In this case he got special leave so that he can sort the stuff out. Next level ANC privilege.