MitchellsFibre (Vumatel)

ShakeelH

So according to afrihost whatsapp support the reason the PON light flashes is when the line is not active. I can't understand this as I had already use the line for 2 hours.

@AfriMan any ideas or way you can assist? cause I don't see now why I have to wait up to 48 hours before the line is active.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
So according to afrihost whatsapp support the reason the PON light flashes is when the line is not active. I can't understand this as I had already use the line for 2 hours.

@AfriMan any ideas or way you can assist? cause I don't see now why I have to wait up to 48 hours before the line is active.
Got your PM - will reply there.

ShakeelH

Got a call this morning from Afrihost call back that I logged... a good few hours after they said they would call me (yesterday @ 5pm) and they just outright said they can't help and issue has to be looked at by MF. I find it strange that this issue has become this complex.

@AfriMan

Nikkel

Got a call this morning from Afrihost call back that I logged... a good few hours after they said they would call me (yesterday @ 5pm) and they just outright said they can't help and issue has to be looked at by MF. I find it strange that this issue has become this complex.

@AfriMan
Ask Afrihost to log a fault with MF and get a reference number @AfriMan can you help out?

Send reference number to MF on FB from your side as well... found this to be the quickest route to resolve issues when I had some in the past

ShakeelH

Ask Afrihost to log a fault with MF and get a reference number @AfriMan can you help out?

Send reference number to MF on FB from your side as well... found this to be the quickest route to resolve issues when I had some in the past
Afrihost did log a fault and I got an SMS with what I think is the reference number but I'm not sure. Starts with ISP-XXXXXX.

It's hard to troubleshoot this issue while I'm at work as well.

Nikkel

Afrihost did log a fault and I got an SMS with what I think is the reference number but I'm not sure. Starts with ISP-XXXXXX.
Yes that right.... send ISP xxx number to MF via FB messenger from your side as well

ShakeelH

Yes that right.... send ISP xxx number to MF via FB messenger from your side as well
I have done so.. also do you think changing the router password from the default would have any impact on my connection? I didn't change any other setting. I'm just wondering if it might effect any remote setting propagation.

Nikkel

I have done so.. also do you think changing the router password from the default would have any impact on my connection? I didn't change any other setting. I'm just wondering if it might effect any remote setting propagation.
Nope... Changed mine the moment it was connected....had a few issues in the 1st week or 2 but all resolved

Vuma dont do PPPoE where you as customer have to fill login details as with adsl.

Last edited:

ShakeelH

Nope... Changed mine the moment it was connected....had a few issues in the 1st week or 2 but all resolved

Vuma dont do PPPoE where you as customer have to fill login details as with adsl.
Well I have appointment for this afternoon with MF technician so already I can so I am unimpressed with Afrihost support but impressed with quick response from MF.

Nikkel

Well I have appointment for this afternoon with MF technician so already I can so I am unimpressed with Afrihost support but impressed with quick response from MF.
The best Afrihost can do is log the fault with MF and wait...just like you and me...hence me saying send your ISP ticket number via FB as well as you'll get a quicker response.

You can't fully put Afrihost at fault if the issue lies with MF but MF INSISTS you to log the fault with your ISP for them to do something about it

ShakeelH

The best Afrihost can do is log the fault with MF and wait...just like you and me...hence me saying send your ISP ticket number via FB as well as you'll get a quicker response.

You can't fully put Afrihost at fault if the issue lies with MF but MF INSISTS you to log the fault with your ISP for them to do something about it
This is true.... but I'm mostly just unimpressed by the response time.. not so much the resolution. I don't mind waiting longer if you tell me there's influx of calls or whatever... but for me to wait 12 hours for a call back.. and 7 hours for a response on whatsapp... that's off putting.

Totempole

Expert Member
Do your IP addresses also change after a loadshedding session? Or do you keep the same IP?

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep

Chatting over PM. We're gonna do everything we can from our side.

ShakeelH

Chatting over PM. We're gonna do everything we can from our side.
All good now. I got a second activation SMS (weird but whatever) and it's been working since then. The MF technician did arrive on time though, just want to put that out there. He was of course happy to see that all was fine already. There's a longer funny story attached to this which I'm sure I can tell you guys at another time.

Bottom line I'm happy now. Thanks to @AfriMan for making the effort and everyone else for the advices, good crowd here.

tubbz

I'd have to check this out. I know the MF router is a very different device, its like an ONT & WiFi router combined so we don't supply it. I can try and find out.
You took too long to let us know and have asked Gian if he can get someone to assist. Nicholas did, and an account manager from MF response was...

1581174977408.png
???

ShakeelH

Do your IP addresses also change after a loadshedding session? Or do you keep the same IP?
Fixed public IP addresses are usually incur an additional fee with service providers and I'm assuming that with FTTH there wouldn't be any requirement for it since it usually is for hosting and business purposes. Do you have any reason why you would need a fixed IP?

ShakeelH

You took too long to let us know and have asked Gian if he can get someone to assist. Nicholas did, and an account manager from MF response was...

View attachment 780596
???
I've actually found that I have quite a bit of control with the router (with default login). Nothing seems to be disabled, although I can't say if they revert any settings over the line.