MitchellsFibre (Vumatel)

ridohr

same applies with Cool Ideas just called them to ask for VUMA and MF line speeds doubling, they unsure and cant confirm

jdido87

Urgh, getting drops now and then still. Any feedback from MF or Vuma specifically on this? I am on Cool Ideas for the record and been stable since day 1.
Do you have to buy a voucher every 28 days? How does it work with them?

ShadleyP

Do you have to buy a voucher every 28 days? How does it work with them?
Yes, log into the portal then purchase a voucher. Did it once since I have been active. There portal and uptime is really good I have no complaints since everyone online now.

ShakeelH

Noob question....
Can someone please explain to me congestion on fibre infrastructure . . . here I was thinking congestion was in the old days of ADSL and in our past.
Somebody explained it on another thread...
So from about 20h00 you have a period where a high number of families watch Netflix/Showmax at the same time so the ISP needs to allow for that. Pre-video, the traffic from many users could be averaged, but with video, you have to allow for dozens of users at full tilt for long periods.

The congestion depends on capacity at many places: There's the capacity of the fibre (GPON involves sharing) and then the size of the metro link from your area back to the data centre, and then the national links (unless you are in Joburg) and then the major routers in the data centres. If the ISP is peering properly with Google, Micosoft, Netflix, Showmax etc there should not really be congestion of these services. That's a lot of parts on the circuit which could congest, and the content servers do have occasional hiccups. Also, ISPs using Openserve can congest due to the high price of the link between the households and the ISP.
Might not the be exact reasoning for our situation but it is in that ball park

ShakeelH

You guys think this new odd ping has anything to do that I'm being picked up as being on "Air Mobile" network?
1585151033096.png
The IP range seems normal though.

BlurryKnight

My speed has been fine during the day but is fluctuating like crazy right now. Was kinda hoping to stream tonight but I don't know if I can do it with these speeds :/

1585155797063.png

Seems everyone is getting upgraded while we're getting downgraded.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
My speed has been fine during the day but is fluctuating like crazy right now. Was kinda hoping to stream tonight but I don't know if I can do it with these speeds :/

View attachment 806667

I'm hoping Vumatel aren't compromising our speeds, to give everybody else upgrades.

ShakeelH

View attachment 806667

Not quite the case. I've been following one of the main Afrihost Fibre Feedback threads and it seems plenty ppl are getting horrible speeds. Most ppl are not getting hits on upload speeds but downloads speeds are getting hurt and pings bad too. See some posts below:

Yeah no, this is a 100/50 line:

and I seem to be experiencing some packet loss and occasional disconnects now as well. Great. Off to the support mines.
Current situation on my 200/200 FrogFoot line.

View attachment 806457
View attachment 806455
As you can see the congestion is real in more than just our places.

Have a look at my results a few minutes ago:
1585158573994.png

ShakeelH

I have some other interesting evidence though. See what speeds I get on downloads over http, 4K streaming on youtube, and game downloads:

HTTP downloads:
1585158779003.png

Game downloads: (Same on others like origin, battlenet and steam)
1585158911935.png

4K YouTube streaming:
1585159189345.png

So it would be a mostly fine experience unless you are outside of these conditions or services of course. I don't have a Netflix account so don't have a test for that so maybe somebody else can post.

ShakeelH

I can say though that I am experiencing very long waits to connecting to online services for games like Overwatch and COD MW. Have to still try other titles. And you see how crappy my speedtest is.

Nikkel

I have some other interesting evidence though. See what speeds I get on downloads over http, 4K streaming on youtube, and game downloads:

HTTP downloads:
View attachment 806703

Game downloads: (Same on others like origin, battlenet and steam)
View attachment 806705

4K YouTube streaming:
View attachment 806711

So it would be a mostly fine experience unless you are outside of these conditions or services of course. I don't have a Netflix account so don't have a test for that so maybe somebody else can post.
Same experience my side. Speedtests between 1mb to 2mb yet 3 devices streaming full hd quite fine without any hiccups. There's some prioritizing going on for certain services as torrents are almost half dead speed wise yet streaming runs great as well as game downloads/updates...

Random Citizen

On Netflix you cant seem to force a particular quality, so currently mine now streams at 480p on my TV.

IMG_20200325_205320.jpg

Youtube I can go up to 2k before it starts buffering every 30 seconds.

IMG_20200325_205614.jpg

Im on Afrihost in zone 4
Speedtests also around 1mb to 2mb

jdido87

Yes, log into the portal then purchase a voucher. Did it once since I have been active. There portal and uptime is really good I have no complaints since everyone online now.
Are your experiencing any of these issues we are with Afrihost? I have been experiencing them for long now.

Frankenstein51

Used expressvpn earlier when the speeds were in the gutter, with it I get 14/15Mbps without it's 1 or less, so we're definitely getting throttled at a certain time???